View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. New Stainless Steel KELLYberg Tuba Mouthpiece

I recently had the chance to do some testing (in my own studio) of the new Kelly stainless steel KELLYberg tuba mouthpiece. It is modeled after the well-loved Helleberg mouthpiece, which was named after the principal tubist of the Sousa band, August Helleberg.

My testing was on my Sovereign EE-flat tuba, which I have played for about 20 years. I have used a Schilke 67 mouthpiece for most of that time.

The mouthpiece makes a great first impression because it ...
  2. New Article from Euphonia Magazine: The French Tuba

We have just added another in our series or articles from Euphonia Magazine. This one is by the magazines's publisher, Glenn Call, who was a euphoniumist with The United States Marine Band in Washington, D.C.

The French Tuba
  3. Music Appreciation 101: Chapter 4, Tommy Dorsey

This chapter discusses a low brass icon that we should all know: Tommy Dorsey. He was one of the most popular big band leaders in the 40's (and earlier and later), called the sentimental gentleman. His sound was very nice, especially given the small horn/mouthpiece he used, but he was especially famous for his breath control and phrasing. I have heard him play beautifully up to around a high F or F#, and he always seemed to know just how to use his vibrato.

Frank Sinatra came to fame ...
  4. Twin Cities Event Coming Up - Bowman, Perantoni, and More

The 6th annual Tubonium event is coming up on March 13-15. It is a must-attend event for tuba and euphonium players in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. This year they are featuring Brian Bowman on euphonium, Dan Perantoni on tuba, and the University of Wisconsin - Madison Tuba-Euphonium Ensemble under the direction of John Stevens.

As usual there are many other artists around who you will want to meet and chat with. There will be several vendors, and it's a great chance to try out ...
  5. Sterling Excalibur Model

I just returned from the Army Band Tuba-Euphonium Conference. While there I spent considerable time at the Custom Music booth fielding questions about euphoniums and talking to the man who builds Sterlings, Paul Riggett. It was a fun time!

One of the Sterling euphoniums on display was a special model nicknamed "Excalibur." It is the same as the standard Virtuoso model except that it has a different treatment of the bell's edge. There is no roll on the edge of the bell.
  6. Backstage at the Minnesota Orchestra

Once again I had the opportunity to perform with the Minnesota Orchestra this week. I'll discuss more about the musical side in a future post, but I noticed a few interesting bits of trivia while I was there.

First, as an electronics hobbyist (in my past), I found this really unusual electronic tuner for instruments. It is of the type that sounds one of 12 tones for the player to match. It appears to have a fine-tuning control.

The next interesting ...
  7. Help for Left-Handed Euphonium Players

The wait is over. A major manufacturer has finally begun to design products for players who are left handed. The first such example is based on the popular Wick/Mead SM3 mouthpiece, shown below in its standard form:

Standard Right-Hand Model

Of course, the smooth other surface and tapered shape may have been difficult for left-handers to pick up and handle, but that has now been solved with the SM3-LH:

New Left-Hand Model
  8. IMDB - Still My Favorite Internet Site

I LOVE movie music! Writing for the movies is a sophisticated art form these days. In the earliest days of movies, before they had sound, it was up to the theater's pianist to come up with appropriate background music to fit the action on the screen. As "talkies" became a reality, composers were hired to come up with the recorded soundtracks. At first there was substantial content from existing classical music. When I was growing up the TV Western series "The Lone Ranger" was how many people came ...
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast