View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Happy Birthday, U.S. Coast Guard

As of today, Aug. 4, 2009, the United States Coast Guard is 219 years old. It is the oldest continuous sea-going service in the U.S.

On an average day, the Coast Guard:Saves 14 LivesAssist 98 people in distressConduct 74 search and rescue casesKeeps $13 million worth of narcotics from hitting American streetsResponds to 12 oil spills or hazardous chemical releases

To help celebrate, here are a few MP3 files of The U.S. Coast Guard Band. They are from a CD made to ...
  2. One Way to Solve Valve-Combination Intonation Problems

Whether or not you read my article on the Euphonium Compensating System, you probably know that each valve on a euphonium can be made in tune, but when they are used in combinations they create problems. The inventor of the modern low-brass family, Adolphe Sax, made the instrument below to deal with this problem. Each of the six valves directs air to a different bell. It's like the double-bell euphonium's last valve in that regard. The valve set is broken up, with three in one location for the right ...
  3. Video: Exploring Double-Bell Techniques, Part 2 - the Yodel

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is sometimes hard to imagine what the double-bell euphonium might be used for today if it had remained more popular throughout the the 20th Century. Here is my next experiment, getting a yodel effect. For this, I chose a fairly simple song from The Sound of Music, "The Lonely Goatherd." This also scratches another itch - to do more with Broadway and movie music.

I have my eyes on another more complex example, but it will be while before I get to ...
  4. Concert Polka - Special Cadenza - Free Download

I've had several questions about my cadenza in my solo of Concert Polka. On YouTube the video I posted of this solo features a different cadenza from what is written. It has a couple non-standard techniques. The simpler of the two is simply a "messy gliss" (like a French horn section often does in dramatic passages, where their upward slur is not clean, but rather includes all the partials along the way). The second one is simple enough if you have a decent lip trill ability, but it will test your ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  5. Is Euphonium a B-Flat or C Instrument?

We euphonium players are certainly long suffering! It starts with the very name of our instrument - is it a baritone or a euphonium? (The preceding phrase is linked to an article where I address the question, for those who are confused.)

Beyond that, many amateur and even some non-euphonium-playing professional players are not clear whether a euphonium is pitched in Bb or in C. Most publications that include euphonium parts, which may be called either "Euphonium" or "Baritone Horn," ...
  6. Review: Cronkhite Leather Gig Bag for Euphonium

After a great of thought and study, I decided to go with a Cronkhite leather gig bag. It was a hard decision because I have enjoyed my Altieri bag, starting in the 1990's, but I'm convinced the leather Cronkhite offers better protection. This review will include a comparison between the two bags. Let me also say that my Altieri bag gave me fine service for all these years. It held up well and was very convenient to use for my own situation (the horn is always under my control, for one thing). An ...
  7. New CD from Bente Illevold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bente.jpg 
Views:	26308 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	7721Bente Illevold may be a new name to some of you, but if so it won't be new for long. She is a very fine, musical euphonium player from Norway. I got her new CD recently and I want to give my impressions.

“Klangen fra de dype skoger” (Sounds from the deep forests) is the result of her efforts to honor her homeland in music. She has challenged five composers to help in this task, and the CD contains some of the works that resulted. The composers here are Rune ...

Updated 06-01-2020 at 08:50 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog
  8. Advanced Fingering Guide for Euphonium - REVIEW

If you are a member of the International Tuba-Euphonium Association (ITEA) you may have already seen this review. It covers my "Advanced Fingering Guide" very thoroughly (and positively!). ITEA allows me to reprint reviews of my content, so here it is! If you are not already an ITEA member, I strongly encourage you to join. There are great articles in the Journal and you are helping the organization support the instruments we love!

ITEA offers print or digital subscriptions, and they ...

Updated 11-23-2021 at 06:56 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Performance Tips , Reviews
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast