View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Rondo by Claude T. Smith

I have often been asked about a piece a played with the U.S. Coast Guard band several years ago. It has been around the Internet a bit, so many people have heard it without benefit of program notes. The piece is Rondo for Trumpet by Claude T. Smith. It was written for Doc Severinsen. I believe I was the first euphonium soloist to perform it, and I did so after consulting with Mr. Smith. It is published by Wingert-Jones, and Robert King Music carries it:
    http://www.rkingmusic.com/
  2. Euphonia Magazine Section added to Website

In the late 1970's and early 1980's there was a magazine called Euphonia published by Glenn Call of the U.S. Marine Band. It contained a variety of good information for the euphonium. I have received permission of Mr. Call to re-publish many of the articles on my website. These are free - no login or registration is required.

There are 12 articles now, and the list will grow. To read them, go to:

www.dwerden.com/euphonia-index.cfm

Articles currently include: ...
  3. Building Embouchure Strength and Range

I have added a new article to the forum that discusses strength-building exercises and a robust high range. It includes a technique I learned from jazz euphonium player and teacher Rich Matteson. View the article here:

Embouchure Strength and Building High Range
  4. Euphonium Programming Suggestion: Morning Song by Roger Kellaway

Morning Song was originally written by the great composer Roger Kellaway for cello, and later re-written for the great tuba player Roger Bobo. However, it is probably in a range more appropriate for euphonium. The lowest note is an F at the bottom of the bass clef staff, and the highest note is a euphonium's high B-flat. I have programmed it many times and have always found it to be one of the most popular pieces on the recital. It is published Editions BIM.
  5. New Forum Online

The TubaEuph forum is now active on this site. Please go to
    www.dwerden.com/forum to check it out. You can read the forum
    without registration (but you need to be registered to post and reply). Registration is
    free and easy. Topics currently offered include
    tuba auditions,
    euphonium auditions,
    tuba brands,
    euphonium brands,
    instrument maintenance,
    gig horror stories,
    music/musician humor,
  6. Free Download - Joy to the World Sheet Music

My publisher, Cimarron Music Press, has made one of the songs from my Good Cheer Collection available as a free download from their website. Just go to:

7. Gregson Symphonic Rhapsody for Euphonium - Review

Gregson, Edward, Symphonic Rhapsody For Euphonium And Band. Salvation Army Publishers. London. England, 1977.

This review by Leslie Condon of the Gregson Symphonic Rhapsody is now found on the main site:

Click here...

Updated 11-23-2021 at 06:57 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  8. James Thornton - Thoughts on Euphonium

Thoughts from the Euphoniumists' Table
    James D. Thornton

This article is now found on the main site:
    Click here...
Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast