View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Memorizing and Sight Reading

I would like to memorize more often than I do. Playing without music, once you get to the point where you really have it memorized, frees you in several ways. But it takes time to get to that "safe" point.

When you are looking at the music stand you are somewhat "locked" in position. That could actually be an advantage in a recording session if there is a mic on your bell, but for a live audience it limits your freedom to move along with your musical expression. You may also find that
  2. Are Professional Instruments Only for Professional Players?

The instrument choices today make this question more complex. Some of this post applies to tuba and other instruments, but I will specifically address euphonium.

Until the late 1970's, there was a pretty wide line between pro euphoniums (i.e. Besson and Boosey & Hawkes) and everything else. That line was largely drawn by the compensating system, but also included the larger bore of the British instruments. Today we have large-bore, compensating euphoniums that cost less than some student-level ...
  3. No Dog and Pony Show in Church

Many years ago I had the good fortune to be able to buy a double-bell euphonium. Its uses are somewhat limited. I own an excellent professional-quality euphonium, which does a better job in most cases. But now and then it is nice to play the double-bell euphonium, either as an educational tool or because its qualities are appropriate to the medium at hand.

I have used it a few times for solos like Carnival of Venice. In this setting it is very effective when I switch quickly between ...
  4. New Tuba CD Review: Nick Etheridge, Once Clear Call

This album is part of a larger project by the gifted tubist Nick Etheridge to record a variety of music that features tuba. He is not limiting himself to the usual concerto-type, sonata-type, or variations-types of compositions, but rather is using creative arrangements and compositions to create many different moods and textures. On this recording the ...

Updated 11-23-2021 at 07:00 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  5. Video: David Childs, A Little Prayer

Here and see the great euphoniumist David Childs (yes, he is a son of one of the Childs Brothers) doing A Little Prayer. The British seem to have a real heart for this type of music, and a fine artist like David can make it really great. (Also watch him play Flight of the Bumblebee and Brillante)

6. Free MP3: National Emblem March, U.S. Marine Band

With Memorial Day coming up it seems appropriate to get some good march music playing! This free download is of "The President's Own" United States Marine Band from Washington, D.C., playing National Emblem by E. E. Bagley. It's a great march and features a snippet of the National Anthem. You can also hear its memorable theme in the second strain, which is often sung with the lyrics, "Oh the monkey wrapped his tail around the flag pole."

National Emblem March by Bagley, U.S. Marine ...

Updated 07-13-2023 at 06:50 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Free Downloads - Recordings and Music
  7. Video: Holy Holy Holy, arr. by Philip Sparke - Dave Werden, Euphonium

Here is a video of a special arrangement of John Dykes' famous hymn "Holy Holy Holy" that we did for church on Sept. 14. This is from Philip Sparke's wonderful book of hymns set in special arrangements. This one is at the end of the book and is the hardest, but it is still not beyond most decent players. Range only goes up to a concert G and no multiple tonguing is required (although it can be used to "spark" thinks up a bit). There are two publications:

Solo part and accompaniment ...
  8. Taking Music Seriously - Or NOT

In 1981 the great British euphoniumist Barrie Perrins sent me a letter with some interesting enclosures. One had to do with jokes. It was an article he wrote for the magazine The Musician and was titled "It's a Funny World."

The last part of the article dealt with musical jokes, and it told one of my favorite stories. It's a favorite partly because it points out the ease with which some reviewers (and "regular" people) assume something is good just because it's new. Here is the section: ...
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast