View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Riding the eBay Roller Coaster - A True Story

Editor's Note: This story was provided by a user of my website who recently purchased a euphonium from eBay. There were a few complications in the process, and her story may prove instructive.

We were in the market for a good quality used King 2280 for my 8th grade son. Per Dave Werden, it's very difficult to find 2280's in great shape and so when this one listed on E-Bay for $1,699 under the category of "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging..."
  2. Video by Dave Werden: Tico Tico

Euphonium soloist David Werden and pianist Sara Brunk performing "Tico Tico." This Lewis Buckley arrangement was written originally for tuba marvel Oystein Baadsvik (you would want to specify the "high tuba" version to play it on euphonium).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxx...ature=youtu.be

We used a medium tempo, which was an interesting experience. I think it fit the piece nicely, but it almost would have been easier to play it more quickly! At this tempo, ...
  3. Adams Euphonium - What Does CUSTOM Mean?

I usually refer to my horn as an "Adams euphonium" but the more proper name would be an "Adams Custom euphonium." Because so much of the work of building the horn is done by hand the factory is fairly flexible about making alterations.

In my case I asked for two "comfort" options for mine:
    1. I wanted the leadpipe angle just a bit more horizontal so it matched my "upstream" embouchure better. While I was at the factory they tried several leadpipe bends for me. The horn I was using
  4. Video: If I Only Had a Brain - Dave Werden

Here is the latest in my series of videos that might be called "Songs that Are Easy Enough for Anyone to Play, but Are Good Musical Practice." (I need to work on that title a bit, though!)

I'm sure most of you will know the song from the classic movie "The Wizard of Oz" where this song is sung by the scarecrow. As with some of the others in this series, the style is lighter than many euphonium players typically attempt. Yet it is a very important side of musical style to develop. And ...
  5. Video - I Know Why and So Do You - Euphonium and Piano

I just uploaded a new euphonium/piano video to my YouTube channel. In this one we are playing a song that I heard in the movie "The Glenn Miller Story" called "I Know Why (and So Do You)." The series of videos I've been doing lately are partly intended to give players ideas about songs they can perform to help develop style. I've been choosing songs that don't require advanced technique or range, and as such they would be doable by anyone from high school on up. They would be a good way to help ...
  6. ITEC 2014 Instruments, part 4: Adams Custom

Naturally I spent the most time at the Adams booth. This was partly due to not being able to get away for large blocks of time because there were so many euphonium players asking about and trying the horns! The interest this year was very high, and some of the display horns were even sold and taken before the event was over.

Adams had seven instruments at ITEC, as follows (going from memory, so...):
    .50, gold brass, bright silver plated
    .55, yellow brass, brushed finish ...
  7. ITEC 2014 Instruments, part 3: Jupiter XO and Wessex

I've been anxious to try the next two horns you'll find below. Both have enjoyed some "good press" recently. The Wessex is in the lower end of the mid-price range that is an important point of discussion these days. The Jupiter XO is in the beginning of the upper price range, and as such has well-established competition slightly above its price.

Jupiter XO
    I had two chances to play the Jupiter XO, and my impressions were similar each time. The horn plays well overall, with good ...
  8. ITEC 2014 Instruments, part 2: JP Sterling and Willson

JP Sterling
    One stop enabled me to try three different horns I was interested in testing: the JP Sterling 4-valve compensating Eb Tuba, 3-valve compensating baritone horn, and 4-valve compensating euphonium. DF Music had all those, and several other horns, on display for testing.

The tuba did not take me very long at all. I quickly discovered that my tuba chops were apparently still back in Minnesota that day. At first the horn seemed stuffy, but then I realized it was my chops ...
Page 11 of 94 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast