Blog Comments

Realy nice info[URL="https://mp3louder.online/"].[/URL]
    I grew up with a Classic 4AL on an Imperial euphonium in the 70s and early 80, so it made sense to get one to go with the Sovereign I acquired when I returned to playing after 25 years of “parental leave”, but I was never truly happy with it and, after a lot of experimentation (thank the Lord for eBay!) I settled on the Heritage 4ABL - the almost sharp rim suits me much better than the heavier more rounded opening on the Classic.

I inevitably got a Heritage 6BS for my baritone, which has evolved from an ancient Imperial through a JP Sterling 373 to my current Sovereign, but I find it quite tiring to play. I experimented with the Steven Mead Classic and Ultra without success, then discovered the Wick Classic 6BY, which is really intended for small shank euphoniums. Now I’m finding the rounded rim more comfortable, which is making me thing I should give the old 4AL another go on my euphonium.

It’s a good job my mouthpiece cases each have 2 slots :-)
    I grew up with a Classic 4AL on an Imperial euphonium in the 70s and early 80, so it made sense to get one to go with the Sovereign I acquired when I returned to playing after 25 years of parental leave, but I was never truly happy with it and, after a lot of experimentation (thank the Lord for eBay!) I settled on the Heritage 4ABL - the almost sharp rim suits me much better than the heavier more rounded opening on the Classic.

I inevitably got a Heritage 6BS for my baritone, which has evolved from an ancient Imperial through a JP Sterling 373 to my current Sovereign, but I find it quite tiring to play. I experimented with the Steven Mead Classic and Ultra without success, then discovered the Wick Classic 6BY, which is really intended for small shank euphoniums. Now Im finding the rounded rim more comfortable, which is making me thing I should give the old 4AL another go on my euphonium.

Its a good job my mouthpiece cases each have 2 slots :-)
    I grew up with a Classic 4AL on an Imperial euphonium in the 70s and early 80, so it made sense to get one to go with the Sovereign I acquired when I returned to playing after 25 years of “parental leave”, but I was never truly happy with it and, after a lot of experimentation (thank the Lord for eBay!) I settled on the Heritage 4ABL - the almost sharp rim suits me much better than the heavier more rounded opening on the Classic.

I inevitably got a Heritage 6BS for my baritone, which has evolved from an ancient Imperial through a JP Sterling 373 to my current Sovereign, but I find it quite tiring to play. I experimented with the Steven Mead Classic and Ultra without success, then discovered the Wick Classic 6BY, which is really intended for small shank euphoniums. Now I’m finding the rounded rim more comfortable, which is making me thing I should give the old 4AL another go on my euphonium.

It’s a good job my mouthpiece cases each have 2 slots :-)
    Dave, Thank you for your positive review and your comments on the Sinfonico.

We will certainly take your advise on the 4th valve slide being slightly shorter. We try to make Wessex instruments suit as many players as possible, so it is always better to make slides slightly shorter, if some people have problems with flat notes, as others can always pull out if they find otherwise.
    hyperbolica: very good points! I made a decision to not talk about the used market because that is such a huge variable. And some folks want to buy a new horn, or have no safe way to buy a used horn, etc. In my situation I would certainly consider either something like a Wessex or a good used horn for a secondary instrument. (Sidebar: I own 3 slide trombones; two are newer Yamaha models and the 3rd is an old King Liberty. In some ways that old Liberty is the sweetest one to play!)
    Yeah, these are some really good points. Also you might consider that some pros or semi-pros buy secondary instruments, that you might use for learning slide or valve techniques, or for additional gig opportunities, or just for the stimulation of learning something new. My trombones are pro-level, but I don't need pro-level valve instruments, so I turn to the Chinese market you reference, but also the used pro market. You can find the level of quality that you need at various price points, with the appearance or maybe condition being the variable for older used pro equipment and reputation and durability being the variable for the lower priced Chinese horns. It's totally realistic to find an 80 year old trombone that you can use professionally, as long as its in good condition, and in some cases (where performance and collecting interests intersect) sometimes the older instruments can be as expensive as new ones. Just a reminder that the used market is a valid place to find good quality stuff too, and is often a better choice than the low priced new options.
    Looks like he got it modified into a two piece bell.

Still wonder why it has not been done on a euphonium bell. Just a matter of time I suppose.

I just noticed it on this video posted this week:

https://youtu.be/bcAF-ZJfbGg
    Updated 12-22-2020 at 01:38 PM by Rodgeman