View RSS Feed

davewerden

Finally! Some Help to Avoid Dry Mouth

Rate this Entry
I recently returned from a performance at ITEC 2010 in Tucson, Arizona. There were a few logistical problems, not the least of which was that Delta managed to damage my horn's tuning slide. But I borrowed a loaner from Custom Music's display. It's a little like running a foot race in new shoes, but it wasn't too uncomfortable.

However, I really didn't welcome the extra mental stress of performing with a brand-new instrument. A thing like that can make a person nervous! And I still remember a recital I played in Arizona in (I think) 1996. My mouth dried out worse than it ever has and I had trouble getting notes out of the horn. (In case you haven't experienced it, the air in Arizona is pretty dry!) Fortunately, for this trip I tried to plan ahead. I had found some mouth spray that claims to help fight dry mouth, so I figured this was the perfect chance to test it. I used some shortly before my performance and had no trouble whatsoever. But I was only playing in one piece, and had plenty of rest at that, so maybe I would have been OK regardless.

Two other performers, James Gourley and Matthew Van Emmerik, were having a bit of discomfort with the dry air. Both of them tried the spray and report that it worked as advertised.

Over the years I have spoken to many, many players who experience this trouble. My advice (which is still good, regardless of the spray) is to stay very well hydrated for at least the 24 hours ahead of the performance, get a good rest, and avoid caffeine (which tends to dry one out). In my 1996 performance I tried to do those things, but it was hard to manage all those precautions around the schedule of the event. I'm reasonably confident that this spray would have helped.

You might find it at your local drug store. If not, here is a link to get it from Amazon:

Comments