View RSS Feed

davewerden

New Arthur Lehman Article: Euphoniums of The Marine Band

Rate this Entry
We have another article by euphoniumist Arthur Lehman, U.S. Marine Band, retired. This time he shares his memories of the Marine Band's euphoniums (the instruments more than the people). Here is an excerpt:

Several accidents involving the double bell horns have been reported by various band members whom I knew in my early Marine Band years. All of these accidents involved the detatchable large bell which had come loose and had fallen off during some tour concert or other. When such a bell fell off, being of the bell front type, it was so round and curved that when it hit the floor (usually with quite a clatter) it rolled back and forth thus prolonging the unwanted noise. During a concert this was terrible. I can imagine what effect it had on the leader.

And another excerpt:

In time I began using my Boosey & Hawkes "Imperial" much to Lt.Col. Santelmann's disgust. In fact when I first received it from England in January 1949, 1 started a band rehearsal using it. Lt.Col. Santelmann spied it and growled back to me, "Lehman, what's that?" I told him what it was. He replied in another growl, "Well, ditch it." So I got up, put it back in the case, and used the Pete Hazes horn for the rest of the rehearsal. Soon, however, it came time for me to play a solo. I believe that the first solo I played after burying the B & H horn was "Facilitala" and I got up with the Boosey for the rehearsal. Lt.Col. Santelmann didn't object and I started using the 8 & H horn in rehearsals, radio broadcasts, and concerts However, I still used the Conn Double Bell horn everywhere else -- parades, funerals, etc.

He also comments on Willson euphoniums and consistency in instrument manufacturing, among other things.

See the whole article here:

Euphoniums of The United States Marine Band

Comments