View RSS Feed

davewerden

International Euphonium Institute 2007 Summary

Rate this Entry
I have just returned from the International Euphonium Institute 2007 and had a fantastic time! More specific observations (and recordings) will follow as I have time, but I will offer a few overall impressions.

This was my first time at the IEI and it took me a couple days to absorb fully the somewhat different "tone" of this event compared to other events I have attended or participated in. First, there are no competitions at the IEI, which may contribute to the wonderful spirit of camaraderie. And all participants are given a chance to perform.

In addition, each participant will get some lesson time with the staff and can hear and/or play for master classes. Members of the staff also coached the chamber ensembles that assembled here. As a coacher, I had a great experience working with very talented people.

We held a panel discussion on careers. This was especially interesting because the panel was made up of folks with very diverse backgrounds.

The general level of playing by the participants was very high indeed. I have often made the point that students can and should learn from other students, and that was true "in spades" at this event. And it was fun for me to share a recital with my long-time friend Brian Bowman.

If you have not already attended an IEI, you should set aside the funds and make the effort next year. I believe you will find the event is more than worth it, as demonstrated by the very high return rate among the students from year to year.

Comments