View RSS Feed

davewerden

A Double-Duty Euphonium Lap Pillow

Rate this Entry
Many euphonium players use a pillow of some kind to help them hold up the horn when they are seated while playing. In a pinch one, I even made one from a bath towel, rolled up and tied with dental floss (it works so well I have used it for years while practicing).

Then it dawned on me that I always carry an accessory bag in my case. It holds valve oil, slide grease, slide cream for the trigger slide, extra felts, etc. While at ITEC in Tucson I found a zippered bag that is a little larger than the one I was using. The new bag is large enough to serve as a lap pillow when properly stuffed. So now I keep all my accessories in that bag. I fold a polishing cloth first and put it in the bag so there is a nice center area where I can put the accessories. It makes a very nice sized pillow, and it's only one bulky item to carry in my case.

The bag is made of a fabric that has a fake suede finish, so it stays in place without slipping around. And the zipper is nylon so it is not likely to scratch my horn.

The bag is available from Hickey's Music, who was the vendor I purchased from at ITEC. The manufacturer is Chonkite, and the product name is the MKP, Accessory Kit Pouch, priced about $15. Just use the link below and search for 12148:

http://www.hickeys.com/

Empty Bag, Shown with Typical Contents:

Packed Bag, Shown Open:

Packed Bag, Closed:

Bag In Playing Position:

Comments