View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Orchestral Euphonium Part - Aho Symphony No. 9

I recently had another opportunity to perform with the Minnesota Orchestra. This time the piece that required a euphonium part was Finnish composer Kalevi Aho's Symphony No. 9 for Trombone and Orchestra. It is a contemporary piece first performed by the Lahti Symphony Orchestra conducted by Osmo Vanska (who also conducted the Minnesota Orchestra's performance). The trombone soloist for the premier was Christian Lindberg, so you might imagine that the composer did not have to worry about the limits ...
  2. New Sterling Model - Waste Pipes in Action

Paul Riggett of Sterling Musical Instruments recently got an unusual contract to build a line of distinctive instruments. The Anglian Water company commissioned Paul to build 5 instruments, sort of a brass quintet with euphonium instead of trombone, that would be made with some brass tubing and as much of Angian's blue water pipe as possible. Photos are below. Paul said he could not quite do a trumpet because none of their stock plastic would be small enough, so he made a cross between trumpet and ...
  3. New Resource for Tuba and Euphonium Audio/Video Downloads

The Music Page offers a few downloads of recordings. They offer audio and video files in some cases and they cover various brass instruments. The tuba section is:

http://themusicpage.com/tmpTextSearch.php?words=tuba

and the euphonium section is:

http://themusicpage.com/tmpTextSearch.php?words=euphonium

As a reminder, I offer a collection of tuba and euphonium videos with a much larger selection. They are embedded in a video ...
  4. Musical Joke

Have you ever listened to a contemporary piece with unusual sound effects and wondered if you could have written it yourself just as well? According to the British magazine, The Musician, January 26, 1980, page 64:

"On 5 June 1961, the BBC's Third Programme included a 'Mobile for tape and percussion' by an allegedly brilliant Polish composer, Pietr Zak.

"Although taken seriously by several professional music critics representing national journals, the BBC ultimately admitted

Updated 05-26-2016 at 04:33 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog
  5. Creative Advertising - What Is a Euphonium?

Euphonium players are often frustrated by the lack of recognition of the word "euphonium." But sometimes there is a way to make lemonade out of lemons. Consider this newspaper ad The U.S. Coast Guard Band used when Danny Vinson was the tour soloist:

We might as well have a little fun along the way!
  6. Virtuoso Wins Roger Bobo Recording Award

Steven Mead's album "Virtuoso" has just won a Roger Bobo Award for Recording Excellence, which was announced at the recent ITEC 2008 in Cincinnati. Steve's album is accompanied by Luc Vertommen and Brassband Buizingen from Belgium. Featured are such solos as Harlequin, Concerto Per Flicorno Basso, and five other compositions.

Purchase or hear sample tracks here
  7. Cure for Dry Mouth During Performance

I was reminded of a tip I heard several years ago to help cope with dry mouth during a performance. Some people don't like to have a water bottle on stage for reasons of appearance, and sometimes there just is no good way to do that anyway. But the Childs Brothers figured out a method of coping, and David Childs has learned the same technique.

They fasten a small piece of sponge to the rear of the euphonium, just where the bell meets the next piece of large tubing (roughly on ...
  8. New Euphonium Practice Mute

At ITEC 2008 I found (and bought) a new design in practice mutes, sold by Brasswind. It is probably not quite as good for normal practice as a full-size practice mute like the Denis Wick practice mute (they call it a "warm-up mute"). But its big attraction is that it is so compact and light that you may be able to carry it in your horn's case! It fits inside the bell of most euphoniums and only extends an inch or two. It fits snugly inside my hard case and would certainly fit in my Altieri gig ...

Updated 10-25-2015 at 03:55 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog
Page 39 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast