View RSS Feed

Performance Tips

1. Proper Hand Position

You can gain considerable mechanical advantage and make your technique sound easier if you pay attention to your finger position on the valves.

If you play on piston valves, each finger tip should be on the valve cap. Your fingers should not "hang over" the valve caps.

If you play rotary valves, your finger tip should be placed so it is centered in the widest part of the paddle.

If you hang your hand down at your side and relax, you will notice that your fingers ...

Updated 01-04-2019 at 04:18 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Performance Tips
  2. Use of the 3rd Valve

Most brass players learn to use the fingering 1-2, but in many cases the 3rd valve alone will work. Usually 3 is slightly lower in pitch. If you are sharp on a 1-2 note, try using 3 instead. It may take some getting used to because there is a little less resistance with 3 compared to 1-2. It may also be useful to handle awkward fingerings with 1-2. Experiment and see how it works. It should certainly be part of your "comfortable" technique collection.
  3. Fighting Dry Mouth

This is a serious problem for a performer, and is caused by the various ways that nervousness affects your body.

I will post 2 messages that appeared on the old TUBA Discussion mailing list. However, first I would also suggest the obvious: that you must drink a lot of water before the performance. I usually prepare 1/2 to 1 hour ahead of performance time by taking sips of water every few minutes. You need to build up a supply that your body can call on when you need it.

Updated 01-04-2019 at 04:17 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Performance Tips
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567