View RSS Feed

davewerden

Women Euphonium Players

Rating: 7 votes, 4.14 average.
A new euphonium player, who happens to be female, asked if there is a reason that more women don't play euphoium. My answer was:

There is no reason I can think of why more women don't play euphonium. It may be pre-concieved notions or there may be some physical tendencies. For example, the average woman is smaller than the average man, and the woman will have a higher voice in general than the man. Perhaps it seems more natural for a woman to play an instrument closer to her vocal range???

Anyway, while I was still in the Coast Guard Band I was fortunate enough to be able to give a few lessons to Ann Baldwin, principal euphonium with the U.S. Air Force Band, who showed great musicianship and technique and a wonderful sound. Around that same time I heard to very impressive British euphonium soloist Wendy Picton.

Looking at the present, I have a very talented freshman woman euphoniumist in my studio at the University of Minnesota. Did you notice that the Vice President of the International Tuba-Euphonium Associate is Mary Ann Craig? That association also has Gail Robertson, formerly with the Disney World Euphonium-Tuba ensemble, on its board of directors. Then there is Betty O'Hara who is a respected jazzer, sometimes playing euphonium.

Other notables include (this is off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'm leaving people out) Angie Hunter, Helen Tyler, Laura Lineberger, Sharon Huff, Hitomi Yakata, and many, many more!! Certainly men outnumber women in the euphonium ranks, but there is nothing stopping women.

Learn more about some of these women from the International Women's Brass Congress.

Comments