View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. On Wings of Song - Euphonium Video

This is my newest video: On Wings of Song ("Auf Flugeln des Gesanges") by Felix Mendelssohn, arranged by me. I did the arrangement years ago but I never got around to programming it anywhere that was recording the event... until now.

It's a great song that I have always liked in its original form, and it seems like a natural for euphonium. It's fun to play and does not require any advanced technique. Thus it is a great learning tool for musical interpretation. You can easily find recordings ...
  2. One Way to Solve Valve-Combination Intonation Problems

Whether or not you read my article on the Euphonium Compensating System, you probably know that each valve on a euphonium can be made in tune, but when they are used in combinations they create problems. The inventor of the modern low-brass family, Adolphe Sax, made the instrument below to deal with this problem. Each of the six valves directs air to a different bell. It's like the double-bell euphonium's last valve in that regard. The valve set is broken up, with three in one location for the right ...
  3. Video: Bless This House - Euphonium Duet

Here is my newest video. Tim Morris and I are playing a duet, my arrangement of "Bless This House." This is from a rehearsal for a church service where the piece became the offertory. Tim is playing the first part, although I wrote the duet so both players have a chance for some of the melody. The recording is a little hampered by the bell angles; Tim is pointing much more toward the mic and I am pointing about 90 degrees from the mic, but the effect is still mostly there. See what you think! ...
  4. Video: Holy Holy Holy, arr. by Philip Sparke - Dave Werden, Euphonium

Here is a video of a special arrangement of John Dykes' famous hymn "Holy Holy Holy" that we did for church on Sept. 14. This is from Philip Sparke's wonderful book of hymns set in special arrangements. This one is at the end of the book and is the hardest, but it is still not beyond most decent players. Range only goes up to a concert G and no multiple tonguing is required (although it can be used to "spark" thinks up a bit). There are two publications:

Solo part and accompaniment ...
  5. Pearl Fishers Duet - Dave Werden and Tim Morris, Euphoniums

Dave Werden and Tim Morris, euphoniums, and Sara Brunk, piano, performing Bizet's lovely "Pearl Fishers" duet ("Deep Inside the Sacred Temple"), arranged by Brian Gallion. The arrangement is available here:
    http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.c...

Tim and I are both playing Adams Custom euphonium, each one made of yellow and gold brass, with a sterling silver bell. The instruments are hand-made in Holland. Learn more here:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthre...
  6. Taking Music Seriously - Or NOT

In 1981 the great British euphoniumist Barrie Perrins sent me a letter with some interesting enclosures. One had to do with jokes. It was an article he wrote for the magazine The Musician and was titled "It's a Funny World."

The last part of the article dealt with musical jokes, and it told one of my favorite stories. It's a favorite partly because it points out the ease with which some reviewers (and "regular" people) assume something is good just because it's new. Here is the section: ...
  7. Liebesfreud Duet - Two Euphoniums - Dave Werden and Tim Morris

Dave Werden and Tim Morris, euphoniums, and Sara Brunk, piano, performing Dave's arrangement of a Fritz Kreisler favorite, Liebesfreud, or "Love's Joy." The arrangement is available here:
    http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?id=1143

Tim and I are both playing Adams Custom euphonium, each one made of yellow and gold brass, with a sterling silver bell. The instruments are hand-made in Holland. Learn more here:
    http://www.dwerden.com/forum/showthr...onium-Arrived! ...
  8. Euphonium Duet Video - Flower Song - Tim Morris and Dave Werden

Tim Morris and Dave Werden, euphoniums, and Sara Brunk, piano, performing a duet originally written for sopranos. The duet is from Lakme, by Delibes, arranged for euphoniums and piano by Adam Frey. Tim is playing the first euphonium part.

Sorry about the lighting, but the sun came around during the recording. Tim and I are not quite so exposed, but poor Sara got really blasted with light.

The sheet music we used is available from:

Updated 02-22-2018 at 11:01 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Videos
Page 10 of 94 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast