View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Historic Video - Conn Instrument Factory, 1937

Saxworks has just released a restored, historic video showing the operations at the C.G. Conn factory in 1937. It is the only such video known to exist from Pre-WWII United States. You'll see processes for both woodwind and brass instruments. It's an educational and entertaining watch!

1937 C.G. Conn Factory - RARE pre-WWII footage
  2. Watch Where You Point that Thing

At some point during my adult life I began to notice singers "working" the microphone. I may have first noticed this with Steve Lawrence, who was quite popular in my early adult life and was on television very often for a couple decades or so. He would employ a variety of microphone angles and placements, depending on the musical needs. If he wanted a deep, sullen sound, he would bring the mic in very close to his mouth. As the dynamics picked up, he would move it further away. There were also some ...
  3. New Video - Gene Pokorny Interview

I just added a 3-part interview with Gene Pokorny (tuba, Chicago Symphony), given by Michael David. Gene is a very nice person and offers some great insights and advice. It's worth a listen (even for euphonium players!)

You can find them on this page (along with several other Pokorny videos): Gene Pokorny, Tuba - Videos
  4. Mr. Tuba - New Harvey Phillips Book

Almost anyone who plays low brass knows the name Harvey Phillips. He was "instrumental" in producing so many opportunities that we now take for granted that it would be hard to overstate his importance. And he has meant a lot to me personally. He was a guest soloist with my college band at University of Iowa and also a couple decades later with The U.S. Coast Guard Band. His college performance was the first time I heard a tuba soloist play a lyrical melody with such grace and beauty (he did "Bless ...
  5. Papa Can You Hear Me? - New YouTube Upload

At the 2008 ITEC, I had the pleasure of performing a solo recital along with one of my favorite pianists, Barbara Young. I just uploaded a song from that event, my rendition of Barbra Streisad's song "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" from the movie "Yentl." It's a very "thoughtful" song, as the plot has the singer talking to her deceased father through the music.

This is the type of song I encourage students to program. First, it can add a nice change of pace for the recital. It also gives the ...
  6. What If Your Horn Rattles or Buzzes?

This is a very common question on my forum. Many players experience unpleasant and distracting noises from their horns, whether the instruments are new or old. The most common cause is metal-to-metal contact where it should not exist (or where it should be buffered).

The very simplest cause can be something you are wearing. Among the items that have caught me by surprise on my own person/horn are sweatshirt zippers, buttons, and the clip of my pen (shirt pocket).

Another ...
    Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog
  7. Philip Sparke Fantasy for Euphonium - Played by the Man for Whom It Was Written!

The Fantasy for Euphonium and Brass Band was written in 1979, I believe, and has been played by countless euphoniumists since then. It has also appeared on various contest lists in its piano version.

Sparke has a knack for writing music that is attractive the audience and a good challenge for the player(s). This particular piece was written for Ian Craddock, soloist with the Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band. I have just added Ian's performance of the Fantasy to my Euphonium Videos page. ...
  8. Why Horn Responsiveness Is Important

For a long time I thought that a euphonium's response was relatively down the list of important factors when choosing a horn. First was the sound. And I broke down sound into two necessities: 1) the sound had to be big and have good projection, and 2) the sound had to have a character that fit well into various styles and could be "bent" or "shaded" somewhat when necessary. And second on my overall list was clarity of sound during technical passages. No sense working hard to play some tough piece ...
Page 11 of 90 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast