View RSS Feed

davewerden

Heredity and Embouchures

Rate this Entry
Brass players often ponder embouchures because the way our chops do their work is so critical to the results we get out of the horn. When I was as undergrad the trend was to try to get all players to fit a specific model - slight "frown" at the corners, mouthpiece pointed downward somewhat. I had to negotiate a bit with my instructor because my teeth do not have the more common overbite, but rather have a more-or-less even bite (the top teeth are roughly even with the bottom teeth). It was impossible for me to point the mouthpiece down without causing discomfort.

I like observing trumpet players in this regard, because the up/down pointing is so obvious. In the video below, at one point you see two trumpet players trading phrases. They are the brothers Pete and Conti Candoli, who were both first-call studio players. I assume they share some of the same genes, yet you can see a substantial difference in the way the "set" their embouchure. But it's good listening even if you don't wish to study embouchures. There is also a nice trombone solo by Carl Fontana.

Comments