View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. FDR's D-Day Prayer

This is one you probably didn't hear in public school. On the evening before our D-Day invasion (which was on June 6, 1944), FDR offered this prayer over a national radio broadcast. It's very moving, and in this video there are some very tasteful photos attached.

2. Marine Band, Interview

Fox News Sunday recently did a nice little segment on The United States Marine Band. They interviewed Col. Michael Colburn (former euphonium soloist with the band).

The player below offers you samples of Marine Band recordings that you can download from Amazon, either as individual songs or entire albums.

Amazon.com Widgets
  3. Robert Childs, Euphonium - 1985

Here is a video of the famous Robert Childs (of the Childs Brothers) as he learns that he won the solo contest in 1985 in England. You even get to hear the last part of Carnival of Venice, which was his test piece. It is lovely playing! This can be good to get yourself hyped up for ITEC, where Robert will be performing.

The video is below, or you can visit my video page to see many more euphonium videos:

Euphonium Videos (There are also tuba, trumpet, trombone, horn, ...
  4. Euphoniumist Glyn Williams at Ages 11 and 16

Many of you may already know of the great euphonium artist Glyn Williams, principal euphonium of the Fodens Richardson Band (shown on that linked page with his Sterling Virtuoso euphonium). There is a nice, historic video of Glyn on YouTube. His performance and interview are from 1992, when he was 16 years old.

More euphonium videos can be found on the Euphonium Music Videos page, including a duet of Glyn and Aled Williams playing She's Leaving Home.

5. Great New DVD - Highly Recommended!!

I'm so excited! I just ordered a newly-released DVD of a movie I saw long ago. It is "What Did You Do In The War, Daddy?" It is a Blake Edwards comedy with James Coburn and Dick Shawn. It is set during WWII in Italy. I won't go into the plot (the links here will tell you more) but it is a very funny movie.

HOWEVER, the reason I remembered it over and above many other good movies is the soundtrack (which I bought on LP shortly after seeing the movie). Music was written by Henry ...
  6. Versatility Is Good, but...

There an interesting video on YouTube today. It is of Hans Boschma, a brass player who performs on 17 different instrument (all the standard brasses and then some) during one piece. It's an amazing feat, but I'm not sure what the musical achievement is.

7. Many Euphonium and Tuba Sites!

There are a great many tuba and euphonium sites on the net. Some even offer free recordings, and most of them have some interesting educational value. I have collected many of them on this page:

Tuba and Euphonium Sites

There you will find links for these players:

Aaron Tindall

Adam Frey's Site

Alchemy Euphonium-Tuba Quartet

Barton Cummings' Web Page

Bob Childs Web Site

David ...
  8. The Brass Band Scene

You may have noticed that yesterday's post about Trevor Groom linked to a site called 4 Bars Rest, which is from the U.K. They generally cover the music scene, especially brass bands, in England and Europe. Below is a link to their podcast page. One highlight on the page is the podcast from the 2007 National Championships of Great Britain. In it is an interview with euphoniumist Michael Dodd, as well as a sample of the winning performance of Music for Battle Creek by Philip Sparke (performed by ...
Page 41 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191 ... LastLast