View RSS Feed

davewerden

Types of Learners

Rate this Entry
During my music career with The U.S. Coast Guard Band I observed two distinct learning methods among professional musicians. I'll call them front-loaded and back-loaded. Keep in mind that these observations are of top-level musicians who have achieved some very impressive things during their journey through music.

Front-loaded learners are able to hear something or even imagine something they would like to "own" within their playing. It might be a particular composition, or it might be a techinique or tone quality or... This type of learner can usually come very close to their goal in a very short time. They often have a gift for imitation that helps in some cases, and they almost always have very good sight-reading abilities (enabling them to pick up new things quickly). They can demonstrate a new technique quickly, but the technique may not be refined at that point. Remaining for the front-loaded learner is the need to polish their new ability so it can be a solid part of a professional performance.

The back-loaded learner can probably not demonstrate a new technique quickly. Instead, they will practice methodically and learn as they go. They may reach the end results in about the same amount of time as the front-loaded learner needs to refine the technique, but they may need more patience because results don't appear to come as quickly.

The main point of my observation is that you should be aware of your own learning style and not be frustrated by it. The differences between front-loaded and back-loaded seem to be inherent. However, either type can get to very fine results.

Back-loaded learners may need to be more clever about which things to attempt because the results take a while. If they are not good at recognizing opportunities for learning, they may pass up a valuable tool for their musical tool belt. The font-loaded learners need to be careful not to settle for a 90% result, but must keep working until they perfect their new technique.

Of course, there is a full spectrum of learning styles between the two extremes I just discussed. You may be a "middle-learner" and show some characteristics from each type.

I am leaving out of this discussion observations about learning styles in students. My emphasis was on professional musicians to show that these styles work for accomplished players and will work for students as well (actually, musicians are all students for life). Your learning style is personal, but need not hold you back.

Comments