View RSS Feed

davewerden

Octave Buzzes Appearing in your Sound

Rate this Entry
Someone recently remarked that he was getting an extra pitch while he played. This can happen when your chops are not set correctly and/or you have not balanced the needs of the pitch (and your embouchure) with the amount of air support necessary. This used to happen to me in college marching band when I was really tired. Now I can reproduce it for a demonstration (but it's very uncomfortable to do so). To do this I place the mouthpiece slightly off-center on my chops, then I can force this to happen. This produces the intended pitch plus a softer note one octave lower. It's caused by the chops vibrating inconsistently across the part that is inside the rim of the mouthpiece.

If this shows up in your playing, I would start by looking at how you warm up. Be very careful with the placement of your mouthpiece on your chops. Then during your warm-up, start out in a very comfortable range and gradually work toward higher and lower notes. Start at a medium volume, then do a little work at softer volumes, then at louder volumes. As you do this, always focus on producing a full, pure tone on every note. This will help get you "set" properly. Even if you do this studiously, once you are playing in an ensemble or practicing a difficult etude, the stresses may cause the extra pitches to return now and then. But it should be less troublesome with time and careful practice.

Comments