View RSS Feed

General Tuba-Euphonium Blog

1. Difference Between Boosey Hawkes and Besson

Originally posted on the TUBA Discussion List several years ago, by "Klaus":

Boosey, Besson, and Hawkes merged under the same umbrella with Boosey & Hawkes as the company name.

When I entered the world of brass in 1960 there were still 2 set of brand names:
    • B&H had Imperial engraved on their top line (stamped Class A) and Regent engraved on their second line (stamped Class B).
    • Besson had New Standard engraved on their top line (Class A) and Westminster on their
  2. New Link Added - Find a Song

A new link was added to the links area (go to dwerden.com/links and select Music General --> Resources). The site is called Find a Song and it lets you enter notes from a song on a graphic piano keyboard or by entering sequence codes. You can even whistle the tune if you have a computer microphone.
  3. How to Tune

This message was posted by Gus Pratt on the Onelist TUBAEUPH discussion list several years ago. It is still a good discussion.

When tuning the valves the most critical thing is that you think about whats going on with the horn from a techincal aspect. If you tune the first valve first, then when you adjust your main tuning slide the note you tuned with the first valve is now out. Here's the order that I would use, some of which will need a tuner.

1. Tune to concert Bb
  4. Wick Euphonium Mouthpiece Numbering

The Wick numbering system for baritone and euphonium can be a little confusing. The numbers are like "4AL" or "6BM" or similar.

The number refers to the diameter of the rim. If I remember correctly, a 4 is about 26mm across inside the top of the cup, and the numbers a roughly the same as Bach for rim diameter. So a Wick 4AL is about like a Bach 4G on the chops.

The first letter, "A" and "B" in the two examples above, refers to the cup depth. "A" is deep, "B" is medium, ...
  5. Euphonium Mutes

I rarely use a mute in my euphonium. However, some important band, orchestra, and solo pieces call for mute so it is important to have a quality mute on hand. It is also useful to have a so-called practice mute for situations when you want to practice but can not make much noise.

STANDARD STRAIGHT MUTE: The best mute I have found for general use is the Denis Wick DW5513 Euphonium Straight Mute. It has one of the best mute sounds I have found and holds up well to loud playing. ...
  6. Recommended Euphonium Mouthpieces

The most common mouthpieces in use for euphoniums are made by Wick, Bach, and Schilke. I personally like the Wick 4A because it has an open, singing sound. However, as you sound gets more open, you will hear a little more "fuzz" close up. From the audience's seats it should not be a problem. For large shank, the model is 4AL; for medium shank it's 4AM; and for small shank it's either 4AS or 4AY (same thing).

There is also a line of mouthpieces by Wick that are made to Steven Mead's ...

Updated 02-25-2024 at 07:52 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog
  7. New Page of Tuba CD's

I assembled onto one page a listing of all the easily-obtainable tuba CD's that my site lists. You should find tuba CD's by many famous artists, both as solo albums and as part of ensembles such as brass quintets. Almost all can be purchased online through various sources.

www.dwerden.com/Tuba_CD.cfm
  8. 4 CD's of Arthur Lehman Euphonium Solos

There are now 4 CD's available displaying the talent of euphonium soloist Arthur Lehman, formerly the euphonium soloist with The United States Marine Band. The material on the first 2 CD's includes digital versions of the titles from the 2-LP series The ART of the Euphonium. There are also some solos he did after retirement with the National Concert Band of America. CD's three and four have solos with band that did nor make it to the ART of the Euphonium LP's because of time limitations, and also ...
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast