View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. David Werden Recital from ITEC 2008 - Notes

Below are the program notes from my recital, plus links to the sheet music.

Hejre Kati.

Sheet music: Hejre Kati by Jeno Hubay / Rafael Mendez

Recordings: Rafael Mendez CD's

During the last couple decades I have been programming pieces by the great trumpet virtuoso Rafael Mendez. He appeared with my band when I was in the Davenport, Iowa public schools and made a tremendous impression on me. He was ...
  2. Bordogni Etudes - Interview and Background

Used with permission of Encore Music Publishers. Click on their name to view their website or to purchase the Bordogni Solfeggi. Encore also publishes the most complete and accurate editions of the Arban Complete Conservatory Method, with version for tuba, trumpet, and euphonium/trombone (all materials highly recommended).

The interview below will give you some insight into the Bordogni solfeggi that low brass players have used for decades as an aid to learning phrasing and musicianship. ...
  3. O.T. Quote for the Day: William J. H. Boetcker

William J. H. Boetcker was an American religious leader and influential public speaker. He was an ordained Presbyterian minister and one of the first "motivational" speakers. He offered these words of wisdom in 1916:You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.You cannot ...
  4. Review of David Childs Recital at ITEC 08

Recital Review: David and Robert Childs

Reviewed for the ITEA Journal

(Volume 36 Number 1)

by David Werden
    As soon as I learned this program was part of ITEC 2008 I was excited to hear it. David Childs and his father, Robert, are two great players, and I knew the recital would be both musical and entertaining. This is the first chance I have had to hear Robert Childs in several years, and ...

Updated 11-23-2021 at 06:57 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  5. New Sterling Artist - Martin Cochran

I am pleased to announce that Martin Cochran has become a Sterling artist. He is now playing a Sterling Virtuoso euphonium, and you can stop by and chat with him at the Custom Music booth at this year's Midwest Clinic in Chicago.

It was my pleasure to meet Martin last year at the International Euphonium Institute, where was on the faculty. His playing was fantastic, as was his musicianship. (And he's a nice guy, too!) Below is his biography:

Dr. Martin Cochran, ...
  6. Review: Heritage 4AL and 4ABL Mouthpieces

I am just finishing a very enlightening test of two new mouthpieces from the Denis Wick Heritage series: the 4AL and 4ABL. My regular mouthpiece is a "classic" Wick 4AL, and according to my measurements, the Heritage 4AL maintains the same dimensions within the accuracy of my digital caliper. The comparison between my mouthpiece and the Heritage of the same size proved (in case there was any doubt) that the distribution of mass on a mouthpiece makes an easily noticeable difference.

Updated 11-23-2021 at 06:51 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  7. Embouchure Development - New Videos

There are 3 new videos on the Trombone Videos page. The notes for the videos are:

1) This film by Lloyd Leno shows trombone embouchures filmed using a transparent mouthpiece and high speed filming. Additional comments by Leno from a screening of this film are dubbed in. In part 1 of 3 Leno introduces his film, shows the downstream embouchure. James Fulkerson, George Roberts, Stewart Dempster, and Bill Watrous are shown.

2) In part 2 of 3 Leno discusses the ...
  8. Lyrics that Include "Euphonium" - Floral Dance

I first became familiar with the song "Floral Dance" from the movie "Brassed Off" and a few brass band recordings. It's an unusual and catchy tune with a compelling rhythm. I did not realize until recently that the lyrics for the vocal version include a mention of the euphonium, which makes this one of only a few songs that do.

Here is the vocal version:

Here is an instrumental by the great Brighouse & Rastrick brass ...
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast