View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Bydlo from Pictures at an Exhibition - Video and Sheet Music

On a recent recital at the University of Iowa I performed Bydlo, from Pictures at an Exhibition. In the orchestral version (orchestrated by Ravel) this solo part is played on either tuba or euphonium. It was probably first played on a high-C French tuba (a step above the Bb euphonium), so among common instruments today the euphonium is a very logical choice to play it.

Much as I did with my arrangement of the March from Holst's Second Suite, I have arranged Bydlo for euphonium and piano ...
  2. Video - I Know Why and So Do You - Euphonium and Piano

I just uploaded a new euphonium/piano video to my YouTube channel. In this one we are playing a song that I heard in the movie "The Glenn Miller Story" called "I Know Why (and So Do You)." The series of videos I've been doing lately are partly intended to give players ideas about songs they can perform to help develop style. I've been choosing songs that don't require advanced technique or range, and as such they would be doable by anyone from high school on up. They would be a good way to help ...
  3. Learning from Others - Comparisons

I was browsing some of the videos on my Euphonium Videos page, and found an interesting contrast between performances of the same music by Lyndon Baglin, Adam Frey, and Steven Mead.

Lyndon performs in a very traditional British style. Steven also shows a British style, but sounds quite different. And Adam plays with a mostly-American style, although one can hear the British influence in his sound. Because they are all playing the same arrangement (mostly), it is a great opportunity ...