View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. James Morrison and Bill Watrous - Flintstones

There is a great video online of the jazz trombonist Bill Watrous and the jazz trumpeter (plus euphonium, etc.) James Morrison. They do a hot rendition of the Flintstones theme with the Daryl Mckenzie Jazz Orchestra.

It can be instructive to watch other low brass perform. Watrous is a jazz/studio player, and hence does not usually need to project the way a typical tuba or euphonium player do. There are some good shots of Watrous' embouchure. Notice how stable it remains as he ...
  2. Two Great CD's by Thomas Ruedi

I recently acquired two treasured additions to my euphonium CD collection. Thomas Ruedi clearly has all the requisite skill and agility of a true euphonium virtuoso, but his more impressive gift is that he is a sensitive musician with a mature understanding of the varied styles on these two programs.

Thomas Ruedi plays with a complete understanding of the demands of the musical phrases. He makes the euphonium sound at ease in the various contexts of this wide range of musical styles. ...
  3. Have You Hugged Your Horn Today?

For almost all of us it is necessary sometimes to wait for a while in a performance venue (i.e. on stage, in a church pew, etc.) before our "turn" comes around. In most cases this means the horn is going to get a bit cold. There is generally not an opportunity to warm up again just before you play, so you end up starting out on a cold horn, which gradually gets warmer as you play. This means the pitch will change during your playing and the response may also be different. Also, a cold horn will ...
  4. NEW: Brass Music Video Browser and Playback Tool

I have just added a new feature to the site. I have a special page with a video browser and playback program. The videos are from YouTube, and I have collected some of the best into several categories of brass performance. They are all free and should play back on most browsers (Flash is required).

Trumpet Videos

French Horn Videos

Trombone Videos

Euphonium Videos

Tuba Videos

Brass Ensemble ...
  5. Christmas Music (Jazz) - Hark the Herald Angels Sing

Courtesy of The United States Air Force Band, here is a selection from the famous jazz ensemble, the Airmen of Note. This group is the continuation of Glenn Miller's Air Force band, which was originally formed during World War II. The downloadable file is an MP3 that can be used on your portable music player or your computer.

Hark the Herald Angels Sing
  6. David Childs - the Hot Canary

Here's a fun video of David Childs, euphonium, performing the novelty feature Hot Canary. His father, Robert Childs, conducts a 10-piece brass ensemble from the Cory Band. This piece requires some flexibility and fast "rips" to create the desired effects.

7. Free Time Over Thanksgiving?

If you have some free time this weekend (or any time), there are a couple sites on the Web that let you donate food to starving countries for free. All they ask is that you visit - you don't have to buy anything. (And NO, neither of these is a scam or joke.)

The first and most well-known is The Hunger Site. Just click the big button and a donation is made. After clicking you see ads from the site's sponsors. You are not required to click on those ads (but you should if they look ...
  8. Euphonium Feature - Melody Shop

This is a video of a high school band performing Melody Shop by Karl King, long known as a real showcase/challenge for the euphonium section. In this performance, their euphonium star comes up front for that long section of running eighth notes. He does a good job!

Page 48 of 94 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast