View RSS Feed

davewerden

Part 9: Arthur Lehman Remembers Euphoniumist Harold Brasch

Rate this Entry
The 9th article by Arthur Lehman about Harold Brasch is now online. Arthur shares more of his memories of the great player and teacher.

Here is an excerpt:

...For a few years Harold Brasch had been talking about writing a new book about the 4-valve brasses in general and about the 4-valve compensating euphonium in particular. He felt strongly that there was a lack of information, studies, exercises designed especially for the 4-valve euphonium players who were using instruments with compensating pistons. I felt the same way. There was room for a good book on the subject and I hoped that someone would one day write such a book. I would surely buy one, I knew that.

One evening Harold called me on the telephone. This would be in 1970. I was still playing in the U.S. Marine Band. He said that he had finally finished the manuscript of "his book". Now it was ready for proof reading. Could I help him? He explained that he wanted to bring the manuscript over and have me proof read it completely through. I was to read all of the typed matter and to play through all of the notes. That meant playing through all of the exercises, the examples, everything. Sure, I would do that for him.

Read the whole article here:

Mr. Euphonium: Harold Brasch Remembered, part 9 (by Arthur Lehman)

See more of Arthur Lehman's writings here:

Arthur Lehman Euphonium Articles

Comments