View RSS Feed

Reviews

Reviews of equipment, recordings, and music

1. Review: Monster Oil's New ECO Oil and Grease - Made from Vegetable Products

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monster 33.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	11269I learned of Monster Oil several years ago. The company was formed by 3 trumpet players from The U.S. Coast Guard Band and their first products were some very fine synthetic oil. They also had a Doc Severinsen model that was very thin and fast. At some point early on they came out with a synthetic slide grease. Back then I did not want to use synthetic oil, but I really liked their slide grease. It had just to viscosity I was looking for.

I've been on the ...
  2. Great Tips from Adam Frey: The ART / GAME of Practice

Most readers here probably know that Adam Frey is a long-time, dedicated educator. He is very articulate about a great many sub-topics in the realm of music practice, and he used these talents to create a pair of books: "The Art of Practice" and "The Game of Practice." The former describes practice techniques and concepts, and the latter is an aid to put the various concepts ...

Updated 01-19-2024 at 07:14 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Performance Tips , Reviews
  3. Review: International Songbook for Euphonium by David Werden

I just came across the review of my "International Songbook for Euphonium" from the online journal of the International Tuba-Euphonium Association. You would need to be a member to see the whole journal, but I have their permission to reprint reviews of my own material.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Songbook Cover.jpg 
Views:	6332 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	10955International Tuba-Euphonium Association Journal (online edition), July 1, 2023

The International Songbook for Euphonium. Euphonium and Piano. Traditional. Arranged by David ...

Updated 11-24-2023 at 11:41 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  4. Review of the Ultimate Brass "Adam Frey" Mouthpiece

Hang onto your hats! There is another fine choice now in the realm of Wick/Bach size 4 mouthpieces. This one is made by Ultimate Brass for Adam Frey. Changing my pattern a bit, I'm relaying on the video for most of the review. I'll say first that the mouthpiece is a good competitor and is fairly comfortable to play if you are already accustomed this general size.

I'm comparing to my Alliance DC4, which seems to be the closer of the 2 mouthpieces I'm using now (my other, the DC3, is ...
  5. Review: Euphonium Mouthpieces from Austin Custom Brass

REVIEW OF AUSTIN CUSTOM BRASS
    EUPHONIUM MOUTHPIECES: #1, #2, and #3

An exciting new line of euphonium mouthpieces brought to us by the fine people at Austin Custom Brass in Kansas City.
    Our friends at Austin Custom Brass have been busy! A while ago we learned they produced some nice euphoniums as part of their "Doubler" instrument line. Now we learned that ACB has produced an interesting line of euphonium mouthpieces!

There are three models, numbered simply 1, 2, and 3. However, what is not so simple is the way the numbers relate to each design. ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 ACB Mouthieces Posed.jpg 
Views:	3132 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	10680  
  6. Review: Adams Sonic 4-Valve Non-Compensating Euphonium

Adams has created an instrument that is unusual and useful. As far as I recall, this is the first time a fully-professional euphonium has been built with a 3+1 valve system that is non-compensating. Normally we in the euphonium world think of non-comp euphoniums as being student or intermediate instruments, so Adams apparently decided to go a step beyond that concept with the Sonic.

"But, why?" you might ask. I asked myself that same question! In my opinion (I did not yet have a chance ...
  7. Review of My "13 Selected Rose Etudes" for Euphonium

Here is a nice review from the ITEA Journal, Volume 44, #1. Used with the permission of ITEA:

13 Selected Rose Etudes by Cyrille Rose transcribed and edited for euphonium by David R. Werden. Cimarron Music Press. 15 Corrina Lane, Salem, CT 06420. 860-536-2185. Fax: 888-235-1772. sales@cimarronmusic.com. www.cimarronmusic.com. CM 2703. 2015. $20.

David Werden served as the euphonium soloist with The United States Coast Guard Band and is an active euphonium soloist and educator ...

Updated 04-29-2023 at 08:21 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews
  8. Adams Euphonium Overview: E1, E2, E3

Adams has a long history of making fine musical instruments, which began about 50 years ago with their percussion line. Roughly 15 years ago they began adding brass to their line. Euphoniums started appearing soon after. Adams numbered their euphoniums 1, 2, and 3 based solely on the order in which the models were designed - the numbers are not a hierarchy or indication of relative quality. They are all professional instruments, but made for different tastes.

All 3 models come with ...
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast