View RSS Feed

Instruments and Equipment

1. Review: Monster Oil's New ECO Oil and Grease - Made from Vegetable Products

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monster 33.jpg 
Views:	636 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	11269I learned of Monster Oil several years ago. The company was formed by 3 trumpet players from The U.S. Coast Guard Band and their first products were some very fine synthetic oil. They also had a Doc Severinsen model that was very thin and fast. At some point early on they came out with a synthetic slide grease. Back then I did not want to use synthetic oil, but I really liked their slide grease. It had just to viscosity I was looking for.

I've been on the ...
  2. Review of the Ultimate Brass "Adam Frey" Mouthpiece

Hang onto your hats! There is another fine choice now in the realm of Wick/Bach size 4 mouthpieces. This one is made by Ultimate Brass for Adam Frey. Changing my pattern a bit, I'm relaying on the video for most of the review. I'll say first that the mouthpiece is a good competitor and is fairly comfortable to play if you are already accustomed this general size.

I'm comparing to my Alliance DC4, which seems to be the closer of the 2 mouthpieces I'm using now (my other, the DC3, is ...
  3. Review: Euphonium Mouthpieces from Austin Custom Brass

REVIEW OF AUSTIN CUSTOM BRASS
    EUPHONIUM MOUTHPIECES: #1, #2, and #3

An exciting new line of euphonium mouthpieces brought to us by the fine people at Austin Custom Brass in Kansas City.
    Our friends at Austin Custom Brass have been busy! A while ago we learned they produced some nice euphoniums as part of their "Doubler" instrument line. Now we learned that ACB has produced an interesting line of euphonium mouthpieces!

There are three models, numbered simply 1, 2, and 3. However, what is not so simple is the way the numbers relate to each design. ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 ACB Mouthieces Posed.jpg 
Views:	3184 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	10680  
  4. Review: Adams Sonic 4-Valve Non-Compensating Euphonium

Adams has created an instrument that is unusual and useful. As far as I recall, this is the first time a fully-professional euphonium has been built with a 3+1 valve system that is non-compensating. Normally we in the euphonium world think of non-comp euphoniums as being student or intermediate instruments, so Adams apparently decided to go a step beyond that concept with the Sonic.

"But, why?" you might ask. I asked myself that same question! In my opinion (I did not yet have a chance ...
  5. Dave Werden - Alliance Artist

Many of you know I recently became (officially) an Alliance Artist. I was using an Alliance DC4 and now use the DC3, after many years of playing other mouthpiece from the Denis Wick brands.

It is an usually comfortable mouthpiece! I don't know if it is because of the rim width or contour alone, or if the cup and backbore contribute to comfort by the way the respond. Whatever the case, it surely feels great! I have to thank David Childs for putting me on that track, because I had become ...

Updated 04-23-2023 at 01:04 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Instruments and Equipment
  6. Adams Euphonium Overview: E1, E2, E3

Adams has a long history of making fine musical instruments, which began about 50 years ago with their percussion line. Roughly 15 years ago they began adding brass to their line. Euphoniums started appearing soon after. Adams numbered their euphoniums 1, 2, and 3 based solely on the order in which the models were designed - the numbers are not a hierarchy or indication of relative quality. They are all professional instruments, but made for different tastes.

All 3 models come with ...
  7. Review: Adjustable Bottom Cap (ABC) - Heavyweight 4th Valve Bottom Cap

On my forum and other places euphonium players have discussed the benefit of replacing the standard bottom cap of the 4th valve with a heavier version. The first I heard of this is when I was a Sterling artist. They sent me one for my Sterling Virtuoso and I liked it. The tone and center seemed a bit better for most music. For music that was light and "bouncy" I tended to prefer the standard cap (but that may have just been in my head). Regardless, it was easy to change the cap when I wanted. ...
  8. How and Why to Use the Adams Adjustable Gap Receiver (AGR)

I put together a video explaining the need for an AGR and also how to use it. Following that I'll post some photos to further illustrate the concept(s).

One bit of perspective first. As far as I know. ALL receivers will cause a gap between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the start of the leadpipe (hidden inside the larger receiver). If the insertion depth of your mouthpiece creates a good gap on the horn you use, then the AGR doesn't matter. But keep in mind that different mouthpiece ...

Updated 11-21-2021 at 06:35 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Instruments and Equipment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast