View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Video: Does a Horn's Finish Affect Its Tone?

This is a pretty good explanation from the folks at Harrelson Trumpets. The talk about bare brass, silver plating, gold plating, and lacquer and the way each can affect tone. This is often discussed among brass players and the answers, according to Harrelson, may surprise you. Note the discussion about stripping an existing finish and also the fairly clear answer about lacquer. It does not cover a satin (sandblasted) finish or a brushed finish, and does not mention if any difference in prep for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Discussing the Adams Custom Euphonium

Ever since I switched to Adams in 2012, I have answered many, many questions from other players regarding the choices among all the Adams options as well as customization. Finally it seemed like time to create a video where I can express these out loud instead of in print on my forum, other forums, or Facebook. The video doesn't cover everything, but I think it gives a good overview.

Within the video description are links to my article about the Adams Adjustable Gap Receiver, the Adams ...
    Tags: adams, agr, video
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. New Video of "I Know Why and So Do You" - University of Iowa 2015

One one of my favorite movies is "The Glenn Miller Story" starring Jimmy Stewart. First of all, it is an educational view into the life that band players went through in the 1930's and 40's. It was not an easy life! It's also a movie in which the music is very faithful to the original, having been performed mostly by Glenn Miller personnel.

But there is a scene about 2/3 of the way through the movie that will stick in a brass player's memory forever. Miller spent the first part of this ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Hejre Kati - Euphonium and Piano - Video

One of my favorite solos of Rafael Mendez is Hejre Kati. It was the first of his solos for which I purchased the sheet music while in high school, and I also played it in later years with the Coast Guard Band. Here is my euphonium-piano performance of that piece from my recent recital at the University of Iowa:
    https://youtu.be/XChFJCxbzqU

With only one rehearsal for the entire recital, we did not get all the tempos and interactions where I wanted them, but I think the piece comes
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Euphonium Duet Video - Flower Song - Tim Morris and Dave Werden

Tim Morris and Dave Werden, euphoniums, and Sara Brunk, piano, performing a duet originally written for sopranos. The duet is from Lakme, by Delibes, arranged for euphoniums and piano by Adam Frey. Tim is playing the first euphonium part.

Sorry about the lighting, but the sun came around during the recording. Tim and I are not quite so exposed, but poor Sara got really blasted with light.

The sheet music we used is available from:
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Video: If I Only Had a Brain - Dave Werden

Here is the latest in my series of videos that might be called "Songs that Are Easy Enough for Anyone to Play, but Are Good Musical Practice." (I need to work on that title a bit, though!)

I'm sure most of you will know the song from the classic movie "The Wizard of Oz" where this song is sung by the scarecrow. As with some of the others in this series, the style is lighter than many euphonium players typically attempt. Yet it is a very important side of musical style to develop. And ...
  7. Euphonium Video - Nymphalin Romance by Sousa - Dave Werden

I finally had a chance to play this while a recorder was running! I arranged it a while back because I thought it was a lovely piece. I also wanted to give folks an easy chance to play a Sousa piece that was not a march.

Sousa wrote Nymphalin for violin and piano, and it has also been performed by band (the Marine Band, for one, but I don't know if it was Sousa's own arrangement or a Marine arranger did it).

This arrangement is sold with two included versions. One is meant ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Philip Sparke Fantasy for Euphonium - Played by the Man for Whom It Was Written!

The Fantasy for Euphonium and Brass Band was written in 1979, I believe, and has been played by countless euphoniumists since then. It has also appeared on various contest lists in its piano version.

Sparke has a knack for writing music that is attractive the audience and a good challenge for the player(s). This particular piece was written for Ian Craddock, soloist with the Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band. I have just added Ian's performance of the Fantasy to my Euphonium Videos page. ...