View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Robert Isele, In Memoriam

I have just learned that former U.S. Marine Band trombone soloist Robert Isele died on December 8, 2009. The following is from the Marine Band's newsletter, "Notes" (Mar. 2010):

Master Gunnery Sergeant Robert Isele, USMC (Ret.), of Harrisburg, Pa, passed away on Dec. 8, 2009. Master Gunnery Sgt. Isele joined the Marine Band in 1937 and quickly became principal trombone. He was one of the most frequently featured soloists in the band's history. After retiring from "The President's ...
  2. International Euphonium Institute 2010

It's almost that time again. The International Euphonium Institute (IEI) will take place in June, from June 20 to June 27. Artists/Staff include:

Euphonium

David Childs (U.K.)

Adam Frey (USA)

Manfred Heidler (Germany)

Roger Behrend (USA)

Jamie Lipton (USA)

Martin Cochran (USA)

Tuba

Patricio Cosentino (Argentina)

Bernard H. Flythe (USA)

Cello (!) ...
  3. Three Sacred Palestrina Pieces - Euph/Tuba Quartet

I have recently finished a new arrangement for euphonium-tuba quartet. This one is called Three Sacred Palestrina Pieces, originally composed by Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina.

Now and then I try to come up with something that is clearly simple enough for an average high school group, yet has enough musical substance to be a good choice for an advanced group. This is one such piece. The music was originally for voices and there are no flashy technical passages. However, the ...
  4. IWBC International Solo Brass Competition

The International Women's Brass Conference (IWBC) is an event that helps to enhance awareness of the many outstanding female brass instrument performers. But wait, men... it's not just for women! First of all, men also attend the conference. But a more timely point is that the IWBC features a solo competition for brass, including euphonium and tuba, and the deadline for application is approaching. Here is the announcement:

The International Women's Brass Conference (IWBC) ...
  5. CD Review - SymbiosisDuo, Euphonium and Tuba

I have a confession to make. I don't generally listen to euphonium and tuba recordings for relaxation/fun/etc. Because I play both instruments, I can't easily get out of an "analytical" mode so I can just listen to the music and performance. The same was true of orchestra and band music when I was still in the Coast Guard Band. Every time I heard a band I would be analyzing the sound, performance, programming and other ...

Updated 11-23-2021 at 06:54 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Reviews