View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Happy New Year: David Thornton, Auld Lang Syne

To say Happy New Year, here is a YouTube video featuring the excellent euphonium playing of David Thornton. He does the theme and variations version of Auld Lang Syne. This is a slide show with sound, not a live video. Enjoy!

2. U.S. Navy Band MP3 - Italian Girl in Algiers Overture

Courtesy of The United States Navy Band, we have posted a free MP3 download of the Band's recording "The Italian Girl in Algiers" by Gioachino Rossini. There are some great lines in this music for all the low brass players. Enjoy!

Italian Girl in Algiers - U.S. Navy Band

3. Merry christmas!

On December 23, 1968, our Apollo 8 astronauts were circling the Moon. Here is the message they pronounced over the radio to all of Earth. Below the transcript is a video if you would like to hear their actual voices:

(William Anders)

We are now approaching lunar sunrise and, for all the people back on Earth, the crew of Apollo 8 has a message that we would like to send to you.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

And the earth

Updated 12-20-2017 at 04:54 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Interest
  4. Merry Christmas from the Philadelphia Orchestra Brass

Here is a new YouTube video with a couple of Christmas songs from the low brass section of the Philadelphia Orchestra. Playing in a very informal setting, you will hear Eric Carlson-Bass Trumpet, Jeff Lang- Wagner Tuba, Matt Vaughn-Euphonium, and Carol Jantsch- Tuba.

5. Steven Mead Album on MP3 - RONDO (My Favorite!)

My all-time favorite Steven Mead album is available one again. It was first released around 1990, if memory serves. The playing is superb, of course, but combined with the selections listed below, it becomes a great album. On the list are a wide variety of musical styles. You will find some lovely slow pieces, such as Nessun Dorma and Estrellita; a great standard among Salvation Army and other euphonium player, Call of the Seasons; a very traditional theme and variations solo, Rule Britannia; a ...
  6. New Sterling Artist - Martin Cochran

I am pleased to announce that Martin Cochran has become a Sterling artist. He is now playing a Sterling Virtuoso euphonium, and you can stop by and chat with him at the Custom Music booth at this year's Midwest Clinic in Chicago.

It was my pleasure to meet Martin last year at the International Euphonium Institute, where was on the faculty. His playing was fantastic, as was his musicianship. (And he's a nice guy, too!) Below is his biography:

Dr. Martin Cochran, ...
  7. Euphonium Fun in Germany

Here is a new video in my Euphonium Video Collection. It is a German polka-style band, and this tune features a euphonium. The player is using an American-style euphonium with a forward-facing bell. The style is a bit more aggressive than we are used to in the U.S. but it is a lot of fun to hear.

View the entire collection at the link above, or see this one video below:

8. YouTube Video: Sleigh Ride, USCG Band

Below is a YouTube video of The United States Coast Guard Band playing Leroy Anderson's Sleigh Ride. The session was from around 1979. We are "lip sync'ing" to a tape of ourselves in this one so the cameras could get where they needed without worrying about microphones. If you watch closely, you will see that in a close-up of a trumpet player, his 3rd valve sticks down. After that he just kept his 3rd finger down, too, so it looked more normal, but he didn't get a lot more camera shots.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast