View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Church Hymns and Descanct for Euphonium

For years I have used a collection of hymns and descants to supplement what I play in church. These are available in books, and each hymn has the melody written in the key(s) most commonly found in standard hymnals, as well as a nice descant that can be played on other verses. See the complete list here:

Hymns and Descants
  2. New Audio MP3 Files for 4 Arrangements

A while back I announced 4 new arrangements of mine that are available from Cimarron Music. As of two days ago there are MP3 files of each of the solos on the website. The solos' sound files can be found at:

Phil the Fluter's Ball by French/Werden

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?ID=1045

Last Rose of Summer (variations) by Hartmann/Werden

http://www.cimarronmusic.com/search.cfm?ID=1044

Serenade from ...
  3. New Free MP3 Downloads, David Werden euphonium and double-bell euphonium.

There are now 2 new recordings available for free download on this site. Both feature David Werden. The first is the popular Introduction and Dance by Barat, performed on euphonium. The other recording is a hymn tune with descant (from the book of hymn descants written by Douglas Smith), Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus, performed on double-bell euphonium.

Go to the free David Werden recordings page to learn more or to download the MP3 files.
  4. Dynamic Range

In the many master classes and lessons I have given, I often hear players who are not taking full advantage of the musical excitement to be gained by using the full dynamic range indicated in music. We all tend to play in a mezzo-something dynamic. It is more difficult to play at very soft or very loud dynamics, but playing at these more difficult dynamics is a skill just like any other skill. Practice it and it will get better.

Certainly the first part of the process is to develop ...
  5. Christmas CD's, Sheet Music, and Videos

We have compiled a page as a convenience that lists the Christmas selections you may see sometimes in the left column. You will find Christmas CD's, sheet music, CD/sheet music combinations, and videos. You can find a link to this page under the menu selection Other -> General Music & Video, or you can follow this link:

Christmas Music and Videos
  6. Proper Hand Position

You can gain considerable mechanical advantage and make your technique sound easier if you pay attention to your finger position on the valves.

If you play on piston valves, each finger tip should be on the valve cap. Your fingers should not "hang over" the valve caps.

If you play rotary valves, your finger tip should be placed so it is centered in the widest part of the paddle.

If you hang your hand down at your side and relax, you will notice that your fingers ...

Updated 01-04-2019 at 04:18 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Performance Tips
  7. Euphonium Military Band Auditions

On this site we offer a complete area with advice on playing an audition for a military band. You will excerpts with annoted advice from Dave Werden and Neal Corwell, and answers to survey questions by the same two military band experts. There are also links to military band programs.

View the Euphonium Military Band Audition Primer section at www.dwerden.com/audition/
  8. Playing in a Euphonium-Tuba Quartet

I have discussed this now and then in master classes and clinics. An excellent way for euphonium and tuba players to enhance their ensemble skills is by forming or joining a euphonium-tuba quartet. You will develop your listening ability for rhythm, ensemble, intonation, blend, and balance. And you will enjoy making music in a group with a beautiful sound!

There is already a great deal of music written for such ensembles. I have a list of my arrangements on this site at: