View RSS Feed

Videos

Videos on this or other sites.

1. Review: Euphonium Mouthpieces from Austin Custom Brass

REVIEW OF AUSTIN CUSTOM BRASS
    EUPHONIUM MOUTHPIECES: #1, #2, and #3

An exciting new line of euphonium mouthpieces brought to us by the fine people at Austin Custom Brass in Kansas City.
    Our friends at Austin Custom Brass have been busy! A while ago we learned they produced some nice euphoniums as part of their "Doubler" instrument line. Now we learned that ACB has produced an interesting line of euphonium mouthpieces!

There are three models, numbered simply 1, 2, and 3. However, what is not so simple is the way the numbers relate to each design. ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 ACB Mouthieces Posed.jpg 
Views:	3184 
Size:	807.4 KB 
ID:	10680  
  2. Review: Adams Sonic 4-Valve Non-Compensating Euphonium

Adams has created an instrument that is unusual and useful. As far as I recall, this is the first time a fully-professional euphonium has been built with a 3+1 valve system that is non-compensating. Normally we in the euphonium world think of non-comp euphoniums as being student or intermediate instruments, so Adams apparently decided to go a step beyond that concept with the Sonic.

"But, why?" you might ask. I asked myself that same question! In my opinion (I did not yet have a chance ...
  3. Video: Extend the Arban Book for Free

In this how-to video I show you FREE ways to double the scope of your Arban book with simple techniques. This will be good for your chops, fingers, and brain. (The same approach can be used with any method book, but I consider Arban a "universal language.")

Especially with an aging population, we are all aware that it is important to exercise your brain. The techniques I discuss here do that...and they are fun! There are also some very practical real-world applications in some cases. ...
  4. Alternative Tuning System - Vaughan-Williams Romanza

I just finished recording the 2nd movement of Vaughan-Williams' tuba concerto, the "Romanza." That is the one movement from the original publication that is recommended for euphonium.

In two places, the melody goes down to a low concert B natural (just above pedal Bb). That is the one note that is unsatisfactory with the 4-valve compensating system. Even with a trigger it is not going to be in tune without lipping down, and I did not have a trigger for the recording. The publisher includes ...
  5. Video - Tips Playing the Holst 2nd Suite Solo

As most readers already know, the Holst Second Suite in F for Military Band is a great piece for euphonium players. The first movement has a particularly nice solo - in my mind it is an example of ideal euphonium scoring. The melody is lyrical and singing, and the band is scored very lightly behind the solo. For those who want to play this solo, even when your band has not programmed it, I wrote it as part of a 2-movement suite for euphonium and piano. The sheet music is available here:
  6. Video: How to Use Alternate Fingerings on Euphonium

In this video I go through some of the logic for using alternate fingerings. I'll show some specific examples and explain a bit about the advantages alternate fingerings can offer (technique or intonation). More information is available from my book Advanced Fingerings for Euphonium:
    http://www.dwerden.com/eu-books-fingering.cfm

YouTube direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nklNJEj_Fk0

Or view it right here:

7. Hearing the Difference: Baritone Horn, Euphonium, Double-Bell Euphonium

Here are three videos I did specifically to help people understand the differences within the euphonium family.
    • The baritone demonstrated here is a Besson 955 3-valve compensating with a .515" bore.
    • The double-bell euphonium is a Holton, and it demonstrates two things. First you can hear the contrast between the bells, which in this case is about the most simple example of using the horn. But the second concept is the sound of the large bell. This is just the same as the typical American
  8. Four Videos for Independence Day

The 4th of July is a national holiday in the USA - today is the 241st anniversary of the signing of our Declaration of Independence.

Let's start with a piece by the iconic American composer John Philip Sousa: Nymphalin. It's a nice little parlor piece with a rather sweet sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9uKuq0uKRk

This is the University of Iowa's Hawkeye Marching Band playing "American the Beautiful." Sorry I don't have a real video because there are heralding
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast