View RSS Feed

General Interest

1. Is Your Music Really Yours?

Reprinted with permission of the author.

Preamble by Dave Werden:

The story below is interesting on a couple of fronts. But the main reason I asked permission to reprint it here is to give my readers food for thought about the whole concept of "ownership" in the digital world. There is also a question of permanency with digital files. That last statement may seem questionable, but consider the following.

I already know that there was a case where Amazon ...

Updated 05-18-2016 at 07:13 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Interest
  2. How Valve Pistons Are Made

When I was younger I more-or-less assumed that a valve (piston) was a solid rod with holes drilled in it. I never stopped to think about the difficulties of drilling curved passages into a solid tube. Later I figured out that the valves were actually hollow, but how they were made was still a mystery. Now that I have seen the process in person I thought I would share it here. I don't have photos of that experience, but Adams was kind enough to provide me with some photos (not from an Adams euphonium), ...
  3. Taking Music Seriously - Or NOT

In 1981 the great British euphoniumist Barrie Perrins sent me a letter with some interesting enclosures. One had to do with jokes. It was an article he wrote for the magazine The Musician and was titled "It's a Funny World."

The last part of the article dealt with musical jokes, and it told one of my favorite stories. It's a favorite partly because it points out the ease with which some reviewers (and "regular" people) assume something is good just because it's new. Here is the section: ...
  4. Riding the eBay Roller Coaster - A True Story

Editor's Note: This story was provided by a user of my website who recently purchased a euphonium from eBay. There were a few complications in the process, and her story may prove instructive.

We were in the market for a good quality used King 2280 for my 8th grade son. Per Dave Werden, it's very difficult to find 2280's in great shape and so when this one listed on E-Bay for $1,699 under the category of "New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging..."
  5. Christmas Music from The U.S. Coast Guard Band

Here is a YouTube playlist with a few numbers from a special live concert the Coast Guard Band did in 1985. Our guest for the evening was Tony-Award-winning singer/actress Tammy Grimes. The selections include 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, White Christmas, Russian Christmas Music, and a special arrangement of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen, written by the Band's former arranger and narrated with the Biblical story of Christmas.

Coast Guard Band Christmas Concert Selections
  6. Cornet Soloist David Daws, Now Switching to Euphonium

David Daws was a very successful and talented cornet soloist with the Salvation Army's International Staff Band. You can hear examples of his cornet playing here:

Videos of Cornet Soloist David Daws

But he has some scar tissue on his lip from a previous injury, and that is making it increasingly difficult to play the cornet to the standard he desires. So he made the decision to switch to euphonium, which will not be hampered by that ill-placed scar tissue.

7. Finding a College Teaching Job 101

"What do you want to do when you grow up?" is a question commonly asked of children or young teens. But it also comes up for college students and adults, although it's expressed differently. The job market varies from good news to bad news, sometimes without much notice, and competition for one's desired job can be very tough indeed. Careful planning is important; by the time you are in college you need to get serious about your future.

Having taught brass at two state universities, ...
  8. Veterans' Day - Hooray for Hollywood (of Days Gone By)

Keeping in mind that November 11 is Veterans' Day, it seems like a good time to mention some of our Hollywood heroes who were also heroes in real life. There aren't many instances (in my limited research) where famous actors joined the military to fight in the Vietnam War or the Gulf War(s). But in World War II (and even Korea) things were different. Here is a partial list:

Alec Guinness (Doctor Zhivago, Star Wars)

Operated landing craft on D-Day for the British Royal ...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast