View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Salvation Army New York Staff Band - Cossack Fire Dance

The New York Staff Band is one of the best bands in the Salvation Army, and also one of the best brass bands in the U.S. In this interesting feature they play Cossack Fire Dance, which features many of the band's musicians, especially the cornet, trombone, and euphonium.

2. New Tuba Recordings Section in Amazon's Tuba-Euphonium Store

This special tuba-euphonium store has been around for a while, but a new section has been added specifically for tuba CD's. There are currently over 60 available titles for tuba solo, ensembles, etc. Artists include Pat Sheridan, the Canadian Brass, Arnold Jacobs, Velvet Brown, Roger Bobo, Jim Self, the Tubadours, Gene Pokorny, and many others. You will find some surprises in there.

Tuba Recordings (CD's)

3. British Nationals - Amazing Experience

At the end of this post are the results of this year's British National brass band competition. My first and only "live" experience with the British Nationals was in 1980 when I went to England to accept the Euphonium Player of the Year award. My hosts for the trip set me up with box seats for the contest in Royal Albert Hall.

My wife, who was a clarinet player in the Coast Guard Band, was with me on the trip. Keeping in mind that she is played clarinet, imagine her anticipation ...
  4. The Arban Solos

I think most low brass players have studied out of the Arban book at some point. It is still my all-time favorite all-in-one book (if you were stranded on an island and could only have one method book, ...). There are twelve terrific theme with variation solos in the back of the book. When I was in school I did not realize that one can buy piano accompaniments for all these solos.

They are all collected in this convenient book:

Twelve Celebrated Fantasies And ...
  5. Mouthpiece Extension from the Leadpipe

One aspect of choosing a mouthpiece is often overlooked - the distance it extends out of the end of the leadpipe's receiver. On the euphoniums I have used for example, a Denis Wick or a Bach mouthpiece seems to extend about the correct distance. That is, it seems like what the manufacturer had in mind and compares well to whichever mouthpiece came with the horn.

However, some brands seem designed to stick out further. I believe this is partly because they are made for a trombone ...
  6. No Dog and Pony Show in Church

Many years ago I had the good fortune to be able to buy a double-bell euphonium. Its uses are somewhat limited. I own an excellent professional-quality euphonium, which does a better job in most cases. But now and then it is nice to play the double-bell euphonium, either as an educational tool or because its qualities are appropriate to the medium at hand.

I have used it a few times for solos like Carnival of Venice. In this setting it is very effective when I switch quickly between ...
  7. Bach Cello Suites - New Recording on Euphonium

A French euphonium artist, Vincent Schaeffer, is recording an album of the well-known (and difficult!) Bach Cello Suites. Tuba and euphonium players know these pieces because in addition to being great music, they are tremendous learning tools. With the artist's permission I have posted two samples on my forum in the category Downloads for Members Only.

You can learn about them from the artist's own website:

www.euphonium.fr

Many thanks for ...
  8. Music Video Done the Way It Should Be!

There is a new promotional video on YouTube produced by the great Cory Band from Great Britain. They perform Cantilena by Karl Jenkins with the vocal group Cantorion. It's a beautiful piece and has nice visuals. You can see most of the instrumentalists closely at various times and the scenery is wonderful. The volume level is a little low on my system - you may need to adjust yours slightly to hear it well.

Do U.S. bands ever produce something like this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast