View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Using Vibrato to Its Best Effect

Many, many, many years ago I received a compliment from Harvey Phillips after a played a recital at Indiana University. Among other things, he mentioned that he liked how I used vibrato. He said it was not just the ever-present part of my tone, but it was something I used more effectively as part of my phrasing. That was very pleasing to me to hear because I have thought a lot about vibrato and how to use it. My use/views are still changing year by year, but the core philosophy is the same: vibrato ...
  2. Alternative Tuning System - Vaughan-Williams Romanza

I just finished recording the 2nd movement of Vaughan-Williams' tuba concerto, the "Romanza." That is the one movement from the original publication that is recommended for euphonium.

In two places, the melody goes down to a low concert B natural (just above pedal Bb). That is the one note that is unsatisfactory with the 4-valve compensating system. Even with a trigger it is not going to be in tune without lipping down, and I did not have a trigger for the recording. The publisher includes ...