View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Hearing the Difference: Baritone Horn, Euphonium, Double-Bell Euphonium

Here are three videos I did specifically to help people understand the differences within the euphonium family.
    • The baritone demonstrated here is a Besson 955 3-valve compensating with a .515" bore.
    • The double-bell euphonium is a Holton, and it demonstrates two things. First you can hear the contrast between the bells, which in this case is about the most simple example of using the horn. But the second concept is the sound of the large bell. This is just the same as the typical American
  2. Video: Exploring Double-Bell Techniques, Part 2 - the Yodel

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is sometimes hard to imagine what the double-bell euphonium might be used for today if it had remained more popular throughout the the 20th Century. Here is my next experiment, getting a yodel effect. For this, I chose a fairly simple song from The Sound of Music, "The Lonely Goatherd." This also scratches another itch - to do more with Broadway and movie music.

I have my eyes on another more complex example, but it will be while before I get to ...
  3. Video: Exploring Double-Bell Techniques with Gershwin's It Ain't Necessarily So

I often wonder what the original double-bell euphonium artists did in the early 1900's. I read that they used the little bell for echo effects, and one would assume they would alternate between the bells per phrase or even per note. But I think if the instrument had gained mainstream popularity and kept it through the 20th century, new techniques would have evolved.

I'm going to offer a couple different double-bell techniques in this video, plus two rarely-used conventional techniques. ...