View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Chester Schmitz on the Web

Chester Schmitz was the tubist with the Boston Symphony for many years and also covered much of the euphonium work that came up there and in other orchestral venues. In addition he is a truly nice person and a dedicated teacher. At the University of Minnesota, where I teach, our studio class was just honored to have Mr. Schmitz perform a master class with us. I will try to share some of that later when I have a chance to edit some recordings.

In the meantime, please visit Chester's ...
  2. O.T. Quote for the Day: William J. H. Boetcker

William J. H. Boetcker was an American religious leader and influential public speaker. He was an ordained Presbyterian minister and one of the first "motivational" speakers. He offered these words of wisdom in 1916:You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.You cannot ...
  3. Hear Steven Mead in NC, Nov. 2, with Salvation Army Band

There is an exciting night of music planned for November 2, 2008, in Charlotte, NC. The Salvation Army in the Carolinas is hosting this evening with special guest euphonium soloist Steven Mead. Stephen Bulla with be the master of ceremonies. You may have played some of Bulla's music already; if not, you should do so! He is a fine composer and arranger, and is very familiar with brass band music.

The event is at 6:00pm and tickets are only $5-$10. For more info, visit:
  4. 12 Euphonium Christmas Duets for $10.00

Composer Ken Friedrich has an offer now that allows you to buy 12 of his Christmas duets for euphonium for a total price of $10. This is a great buy. If you don't already know Ken, give these a try. He is a very faithful contributor to low brass music and a fine composer.

Ken Friedrich Christmas Music

See all of his music here:

Ken Friedrich Music Catalog

5. Glyn Williams (Sterling Artist) Named Best instrumentalist

At the 2008 National Championships of Great Britain, held at Royal Albert Hall in London, the great euphoniumist Glyn Williams was just awarded the honor (or honour) of "Best Instrumentalist." Glyn has been with the fine Fodens band for about a dozen years and has also made a lot of press as an instrument dealer.

There are five videos of Glyn on my Euphonium Videos page, including one from when he was just a young lad:

Euphonium Videos

Glyn ...
  6. If You Want to Win, Put a Euphonium Player in Charge!

This past weekend the National Championships of Great Britain were held in Royal Albert Hall (London). The incredible event has been described on this blog previously. The winning band this year was Black Dyke, one of the most famous brass bands in the world. Conductor was Nicholas Childs, a brilliant euphonium player and one member of the Childs Brothers, in addition to being a conductor.

Read the complete article on 4 Bars Rest.
  7. Interesting Insight on the Baritone Horn

The most popular page on my website for years has been the article explaining the difference between baritone horn and euphonium. Even before the website existed, I always carried a printed article of the same content. It was useful to address the question I so often got at concerts.

In Europe and other counties the situation is much different. Baritone horn is recognized as a standard brass band instrument, which is different from the euphonium. There are even a few soloists ...
  8. USCG Euphonium-Tuba Quartet: Wilhelm Ramsoe, Quartet

YouTube now has a video of The United States Coast Guard Band Euphonium-Tuba Quartet, performing at The Armed Forces School of Music. This video is the first of three movements of the Ramsoe Quartet, arranged by Gary Buttery. It was one of our most popular pieces on recitals and is pretty challenging.

You can get the sheet music here:

Ramsoe Quartet, arr. by Gary Buttery

You can see the video here or by watching the embedded video below. ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast