View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Discussing the Adams Custom Euphonium

Ever since I switched to Adams in 2012, I have answered many, many questions from other players regarding the choices among all the Adams options as well as customization. Finally it seemed like time to create a video where I can express these out loud instead of in print on my forum, other forums, or Facebook. The video doesn't cover everything, but I think it gives a good overview.

Within the video description are links to my article about the Adams Adjustable Gap Receiver, the Adams ...

Updated 02-22-2018 at 10:58 AM by davewerden

Tags: adams, agr, video
    Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Instruments and Equipment
  2. The Adams Adjustable-Gap Receiver (AGR)

I suspect most euphonium players have never worried about the gap between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the beginning of the instrument's leadpipe. To understand the terminology, the receiver is the two or three inches of tubing attached to the end of the leadpipe. The mouthpiece inserts into the receiver. The gap is hidden underneath the receiver. The drawing below shows this:

3. Evaluating the Adams Custom Euphonium

As I have announced earlier I am now playing the Adams Custom Euphonium. Of all the horns I've ever tested, this one was clearly the best choice for me. Several colleagues have asked me for more detail about why I chose Adams, so here is my perspective.

I've been play-testing professional-quality euphoniums seriously since about 1978, and I have gotten used to testing instruments in all kinds of situations. The Adams seemed to "brag" about itself a little less as I was playing in my ...