View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. ITEC 2014 Instruments, part 4: Adams Custom

Naturally I spent the most time at the Adams booth. This was partly due to not being able to get away for large blocks of time because there were so many euphonium players asking about and trying the horns! The interest this year was very high, and some of the display horns were even sold and taken before the event was over.

Adams had seven instruments at ITEC, as follows (going from memory, so...):
    .50, gold brass, bright silver plated
    .55, yellow brass, brushed finish ...
  2. The Adams Adjustable-Gap Receiver (AGR)

I suspect most euphonium players have never worried about the gap between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the beginning of the instrument's leadpipe. To understand the terminology, the receiver is the two or three inches of tubing attached to the end of the leadpipe. The mouthpiece inserts into the receiver. The gap is hidden underneath the receiver. The drawing below shows this:

3. Evaluating the Adams Custom Euphonium

As I have announced earlier I am now playing the Adams Custom Euphonium. Of all the horns I've ever tested, this one was clearly the best choice for me. Several colleagues have asked me for more detail about why I chose Adams, so here is my perspective.

I've been play-testing professional-quality euphoniums seriously since about 1978, and I have gotten used to testing instruments in all kinds of situations. The Adams seemed to "brag" about itself a little less as I was playing in my ...