View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Correctly Using an Electronic Tuner

The electronic tuner is a practice tool, like buzzing devices, a metronome, and even a mirror. It can have great value if used appropriately. As mentioned before in this thread, it is helpful learning the tendencies of the instrument(s) you play. If you know a particular note is generally flat, for example, you can at least start heading the most likely direction as you seek to tune to the harmonies around you when playing with others. You ear can tell you that your horn has some problem notes, ...
  2. A Double-Duty Euphonium Lap Pillow

Many euphonium players use a pillow of some kind to help them hold up the horn when they are seated while playing. In a pinch one, I even made one from a bath towel, rolled up and tied with dental floss (it works so well I have used it for years while practicing).

Then it dawned on me that I always carry an accessory bag in my case. It holds valve oil, slide grease, slide cream for the trigger slide, extra felts, etc. While at ITEC in Tucson I found a zippered bag that is a little ...