Blog Comments

These soldiers excel musically and at close order drill, too. It's an attention-getter for sure!
    Hey, anything that gets euphonium players out of the back row! I saw the US Army Field Band recently and they were very good (as usual). Though I hoped for a soloist from the low brass section, they featured a bass clarinet trio in the concert I saw. Nevertheless, still a treat.
    Dave
    Thanks for the help with this piece and your teaching expertise.
    James
    Sounds beautiful.
    I believe it was Mark Twain, who once remarked about that German composer we all love to hate. "I have it on very good account that Wagner's music is really much better than it sounds."
    Has anyone ever played that thing? I wonder what key it's pitched in, and how much it weighs.
    So THAT'S what it is supposed to sound like! Very nice, thanks for sharing!

I did this piece about a year ago at my church. I really like the arrangement. I think it is kind of unique in that the recognizable melody is not in the solo part at all, i.e. without the accompaniment I think most people wouldn't know that it is "Holy, Holy, Holy".
    This is absolutely beautiful playing by all three of you! Also, thank you for sharing the arrangement! I've been looking for an arrangement of this and did not know of any that people knew were good, or well done arrangements. As some arrangements can be very odd.
    There seems to be a musically politically-correct unwillingness to say that some emperors have no clothes!!
    I can't think of a better adjective than Rick -- simply beautiful with two horns melding as one. Obviously a testament to the players, but you can tell how responsive the Adams horns are. I'm sure it is a privilege for each of you to play with the other.
    That was beautiful! The parts blended perfectly with identical phrasing.
    That was really lovely! Regarding the lighting, it makes a very artistic effect! - Carroll
    A lot of the custom action is within the Adams trumpet (driven by Christian Scott, perhaps). Here are some example. I can't recall another company building so many one-off's in recent years, but they are neat to see!

Nice and informative story. Glad it turned out like it did. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you. By the way, I was listening to some of your recordings on YouTube (while catching up on administrative stuff at my office), and I thank you for making these available. When I was playing baritone horn and later euphonium in school, it was very difficult to find euphonium recordings at the local record stores, and I really didn't know what I was supposed to sound like.
    It is in Gm, but I think the high-tuba version has some different writing that fits euphonium better.
    I found a sheet music version of the Buckley arrangement in G minor. It sounded to me like that was the key you were playing it in, is that the one?
    Here is another example. In this case I think the main customizations are in appearance. Notice the engraving. Looks very nice on a tuba.

Check out this Adams Custom trumpet (which has the same brushed finish as my euphonium):

The valves are offset to more closely match the arc of the owner's fingers. This was a custom request - the normal valves are inline. They are also offset on the vertical plane as well. Here are comments from the owner (taken from his FaceBook comments):

"All the valve sets are individually made, so can be made 'traditionally' in a straight line, OR off-set so that the 2nd valve sticks out a little to match the length of your middle finger, On this model the valves are also made in a V formation, so that they are closer at the bottom and slightly wider apart at the top. It's up to You !!! Each trumpet can be individually tailored to each trumpet player. That's the real beauty of real hand-made instruments. ADAMS - Brass at it's Best."
    Quote Originally Posted by bbocaner
    Nice job, Dave.

dsurkin: there's a modulation to F at 2:40ish.
    Gee, that'll teach me to listen with half an ear while I'm at work!
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast