View RSS Feed

Videos

Videos on this or other sites.

1. Papa Can You Hear Me? - New YouTube Upload

At the 2008 ITEC, I had the pleasure of performing a solo recital along with one of my favorite pianists, Barbara Young. I just uploaded a song from that event, my rendition of Barbra Streisad's song "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" from the movie "Yentl." It's a very "thoughtful" song, as the plot has the singer talking to her deceased father through the music.

This is the type of song I encourage students to program. First, it can add a nice change of pace for the recital. It also gives the ...
  2. Philip Sparke Fantasy for Euphonium - Played by the Man for Whom It Was Written!

The Fantasy for Euphonium and Brass Band was written in 1979, I believe, and has been played by countless euphoniumists since then. It has also appeared on various contest lists in its piano version.

Sparke has a knack for writing music that is attractive the audience and a good challenge for the player(s). This particular piece was written for Ian Craddock, soloist with the Yorkshire Imperial Metals Band. I have just added Ian's performance of the Fantasy to my Euphonium Videos page. ...

Updated 02-22-2018 at 11:03 AM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , Videos
  3. Derick Kane Video - Star Lake Pep Song

I added a new video to my Euphonium Videos page. It is quite a lot of fun! It features British Salvation Army euphonium soloist Derick Kane, accompanied by composer Peter Graham. Here is the link (on a page with 614 other great euphonium videos!):

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/...s.cfm?vid=1853

4. Matt van Emmerik - Concert Gallop Video from IEI

Straight from the 2012 International Euphonium Institute we have a video of the great euphonium artist Matt van Emmerick. He is playing "Concert Gallop" by Brendan Collins.

Matt is an Adams Custom artist. He plays an Adams euphonium equipped with a trigger and a sterling silver bell. All Adams euphoniums are available in different metal weights, and Matt chose the .60" thickness metal with a brushed lacquer finish. It's a striking instrument visually and sounds great, as you can ...
  5. Milestone - 600 Euphonium Videos Collected on One Page!

When I was in high school, if I had purchased every euphonium recording on the market I would have owned six or eight albums and therefore 50-70 songs. It would have meant chasing down the addresses of the record companies and sending a check; then I might have received the albums in a few weeks.

Today it's different. There are many dozens of euphonium CD's available right now. You can download euphonium recordings from Amazon, instantly and for about $9 per CD or 99 cents per ...
  6. David Werden, Solo Euphonium: Variations, by Jerry Owen

I just added a new video to the Euphonium Videos page. This one is a performance by me of Jerry Owen's original euphonium composition "Variations," written for jazz euphonium player Rich Matteson. The band is The United States Coast Guard Band, conducted by Lewis J. Buckley, from a 1983 performance for the College Band Directors National Association. The piece is a good showcase for the jazzier sounds of a euphonium, but it does not require the ability to ad lib - all notes are written out. I enjoyed ...
  7. Videos on Maintenance by Jeff Funderburk

Tubist Jeff Funderburk is a recording artist, Professor of Euphonium and Tuba at the University of Northern Iowa and was President of the International Tuba-Euphonium Association from 1995 to 1997. In addition to his fine abilities as a player and teacher, he is also knowledgeable in the area of repair.

He has posted a set of 14 videos on tuba maintenance and repair. But euphonium players take note: at least two of the topics are applicable to piston-valve euphoniums (the majority ...
  8. We Have a LOT to Learn About Showmanship!

I have been very pleased with the steadily improving musicianship and technical prowess I observe in the best of the current crop of players. It's not too surprising, I suppose, because students have much-improved access to professional performances they can use as inspiration. But maybe we could think a little more about our presentation as a whole, specifically the "visuals" of the performance.

Some groups have done noteworthy (no pun intended) work here. If you have seen a ...
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast