View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Watch Where You Point That Thing! (Depricated)

This article has been replaced by a more complete discussion of the issue of bell angle. Please see the new version here:

Watch Where You Point That Thing - Performance Considerations for Euphonium and Tuba
  2. New Recording Added - Lucas Spiros, euphonium: Ransomed

We now have a new featured recording in the Downloads for Members Only section of our forum. It features Luke Spiros performing the Salvation Army solo "Ransomed" by George Marshall. Luke was Principal First Chair Euphonium Soloist with the US Marine Band for 23 years and performs this solo with his usual gusto.

It is available as a free download if you are a member of the forum (membership is free):

Lukas Spiros - Ransomed
  3. A Loss to the Euphonium World

I have just learned that the British euphoniumist Marcus Cutts has passed away at the age of 80. It was many years ago that a friend gave me a recording of Marcus - I believe he was playing To a Wild Rose, if memory serves. In any case, his name stuck in my mind because of the fine playing I heard on that recording. Here is an excerpt from an article on 4barsrest.com:

"BR has been informed of the death of Marcus Cutt former principal euphonium with the Fairey Band. He was an integral ...
  4. New Free Recording - Tico Tico, Jeff Arwood, Tuba

There is a new recording available now in the forum on this site. It is a vintage recording of tubist Jeff Arwood, U.S. Army Band (Pershing's Own) from the early 1970's. Jeff is playing Tico Tico (on a Besson F tuba if I remember correctly). It's a great performance and very entertaining.

This recording is available to members of the Tuba-Euphonium Forum, and membership is free. Justs go to the Euphonium-Tuba Forum and select the "Downloads for Members Only" link in the "Tuba ...
  5. New Video: French Piece for Alto/Bari/Euphs

Just found this on YouTube. It's a nice piece for 2 altos, 2 baritone horns, and 2 euphoniums (plus one extra euphonium in the middle??) by Cedric Rossero. It's a great demonstration of the different timbres of these instruments. It appears to be from the Paris Conservatory.

6. Euphonium Player of the Year - Almost Time Again

Now that the Summer is closing, it will soon be time to hear who is the 2007 Euphonium Player of the Year. There are other posts on this blog about the event, but I thought I would provide a bit more insight based on my own experience from 1980.

When I learned of the award, the Coast Guard agreed to pay my expenses to travel and accept the award in London. While there, I took a few days' leave on my own expense and toured London - what a great city and people!

The actual ...
  7. Carbon Fiber Tuba Bell

YouTube has a nice video of the Canadian Brass Quintet playing a Purcell piece. While it doesn't really feature the tuba, you can plainly see the black bell in the video. You may be able to hear enough of the tuba to judge for yourself how the sound holds up.

Canadian Brass - Carbon Fiber Tuba Bell
  8. Tuba Performance Art - Canadian Brass

This is a great routine by the always-entertaining Canadian Brass Quintet. Charles Daellenbach is featured and here is a fantastic demonstration how a great player can perform under challenging circumstances. For those of us who think we need a chair that is just the right height and a way to always have the horn supported at just the right angle, watch this:

Page 52 of 94 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast