View RSS Feed

Euphonium-Tuba Blog

New Videos on this site or elsewhere.

1. Video: Extend the Arban Book for Free

In this how-to video I show you FREE ways to double the scope of your Arban book with simple techniques. This will be good for your chops, fingers, and brain. (The same approach can be used with any method book, but I consider Arban a "universal language.")

Especially with an aging population, we are all aware that it is important to exercise your brain. The techniques I discuss here do that...and they are fun! There are also some very practical real-world applications in some cases. ...
  2. Is Euphonium a B-Flat or C Instrument?

We euphonium players are certainly long suffering! It starts with the very name of our instrument - is it a baritone or a euphonium? (The preceding phrase is linked to an article where I address the question, for those who are confused.)

Beyond that, many amateur and even some non-euphonium-playing professional players are not clear whether a euphonium is pitched in Bb or in C. Most publications that include euphonium parts, which may be called either "Euphonium" or "Baritone Horn," ...
  3. Alternative Tuning System - Vaughan-Williams Romanza

I just finished recording the 2nd movement of Vaughan-Williams' tuba concerto, the "Romanza." That is the one movement from the original publication that is recommended for euphonium.

In two places, the melody goes down to a low concert B natural (just above pedal Bb). That is the one note that is unsatisfactory with the 4-valve compensating system. Even with a trigger it is not going to be in tune without lipping down, and I did not have a trigger for the recording. The publisher includes ...
  4. Video - Tips Playing the Holst 2nd Suite Solo

As most readers already know, the Holst Second Suite in F for Military Band is a great piece for euphonium players. The first movement has a particularly nice solo - in my mind it is an example of ideal euphonium scoring. The melody is lyrical and singing, and the band is scored very lightly behind the solo. For those who want to play this solo, even when your band has not programmed it, I wrote it as part of a 2-movement suite for euphonium and piano. The sheet music is available here:
  5. Video: How to Use Alternate Fingerings on Euphonium

In this video I go through some of the logic for using alternate fingerings. I'll show some specific examples and explain a bit about the advantages alternate fingerings can offer (technique or intonation). More information is available from my book Advanced Fingerings for Euphonium:
    http://www.dwerden.com/eu-books-fingering.cfm

YouTube direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nklNJEj_Fk0

Or view it right here:

6. Reviews - Eastman 826 and Shires Q41 Compensating Euphoniums

These impressions are based on my testing at ITEC 2019. I chose to combine the two horns because they share similarities in manufacturing and are both part of the Eastman/Shires family.

They seemed to share at least some parts, or possibly just design concepts. One I noted is the connector on the front side between valve 1 and 2. On both horns it follows the model of Willson, with more of a rounded-rectangle idea than a smooth curve. You can see it in this photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E-S Valve Connector Shape.jpg 
Views:	48822 
Size:	578.9 KB 
ID:	6983 ...

Updated 11-14-2019 at 02:36 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Instruments and Equipment
  7. Review - Wessex EP600 Hand-Made Euphonium

One opportunity I looked forward to when planning my visit to ITEC 2019 was seeing and playing the new Wessex EP600. This is their new, handmade model. My understanding is that the horn is made on a different floor of the Chinese factory, and that the workers building it are trained specifically for this type of work.

As I have often said, patience is a virtue. It proved an asset at ITEC because the EP600 was delayed by a day or two. But I was able to get some time with it the day it ...
  8. Review - Wiseman Carbon Fiber Euphonium Case

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wiseman Case Exterior.jpg 
Views:	47008 
Size:	197.9 KB 
ID:	6963NOTE: Comments from Wisemann appear at the bottom of this review.

NOTE 2: Fletcher Mitchell, a euphonium player, gave me permission to use photos from his Facebook page of his Wiseman case. These show much better detail than my original photos. They are at the end of this blog entry, after the comments from Wiseman.

The Wiseman case at ITEC2019 was impressive in many ways but seemed like a work in progress - although a promising work. The case ...
Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast