View RSS Feed

Videos

Videos on this or other sites.

1. The Basics: Scales and Arpeggios

Would you like to be able to sight read better? Would you like to be able to improve your technique? Would you like to relax more when playing music so you can focus on the music instead of the notes? Then keep reading!

I have always emphasized that students and advanced players should be doing scales and arpeggios every day. You should know them well enough to incorporate them in your practice without needing music in front of you. That step may take a while, but it is not too difficult
  2. Concert Polka - Special Cadenza - Free Download

I've had several questions about my cadenza in my solo of Concert Polka. On YouTube the video I posted of this solo features a different cadenza from what is written. It has a couple non-standard techniques. The simpler of the two is simply a "messy gliss" (like a French horn section often does in dramatic passages, where their upward slur is not clean, but rather includes all the partials along the way). The second one is simple enough if you have a decent lip trill ability, but it will test your ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Files
  3. Video: When Is an Easy Piece Hard?

One would ordinarily think a piece in 4/4, named "Romance," marked "Moderato," where the quickest rhythm is in a few dotted-eighth/sixteenth figures would be pretty easy, right? Well, OK, it's in A concert, but that is one of the standard scales taught in school and used in high school band pieces (sometimes, anyway).

There are two harder things about this piece. One is the upper range, which goes to a high C# concert (D# treble). That's a bit tough. But I find the hardest facet by ...
  4. Video: Tour the Adams Factory and Meet Miel Adams Etc.

Here is your chance to learn a little more about Adams. The video centers largely on two Adams trumpet artist, but you can hear discussions with Miel Adams (he's the one with blonde hair!) and get a peek at the factory and showroom. It's pretty fun to watch and you can get an idea of the interaction between the artist and the manufacturer.

5. Capriccio di Niccolo by Frank Proto - Euphonium Solo with Piano or Orchestra

I'm very excited about this piece! It was originally written for Doc Severinsen (trumpet) and is a theme and variations based on Paganini's Caprice No. 24. The composer is Frank Proto. I communicated with Mr. Proto and convinced him to re-write the piece in a unique version for euphonium. It is available with piano or orchestra accompaniment. The latter version required the most work, because an orchestra that balances Doc Severinsen will bury a euphonium! It is important to note that Mr. Proto ...

Updated 08-19-2015 at 06:26 PM by davewerden

Categories
    Euphonium-Tuba Blog , General Tuba-Euphonium Blog , Videos
  6. Video: Exploring Double-Bell Techniques, Part 2 - the Yodel

As I mentioned in my previous post, it is sometimes hard to imagine what the double-bell euphonium might be used for today if it had remained more popular throughout the the 20th Century. Here is my next experiment, getting a yodel effect. For this, I chose a fairly simple song from The Sound of Music, "The Lonely Goatherd." This also scratches another itch - to do more with Broadway and movie music.

I have my eyes on another more complex example, but it will be while before I get to ...
  7. Video: Exploring Double-Bell Techniques with Gershwin's It Ain't Necessarily So

I often wonder what the original double-bell euphonium artists did in the early 1900's. I read that they used the little bell for echo effects, and one would assume they would alternate between the bells per phrase or even per note. But I think if the instrument had gained mainstream popularity and kept it through the 20th century, new techniques would have evolved.

I'm going to offer a couple different double-bell techniques in this video, plus two rarely-used conventional techniques. ...
  8. Morning Song by Roger Kellaway - New Video

This is from my recital in March, 2015, at the University of Iowa. Morning Song was written for tuba virtuoso Roger Bobo and recorded by him a few decades ago. (The original LP has been remade into a CD, so you can hear Bobo play it here: Roger Bobo, tuba, playing Morning Song)

I fell in love with the piece when I first heard it. Later, when I saw the sheet music, I saw that is was right in the prime euphonium range and set very high for the average tubist (it goes a step higher than ...
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast