View RSS Feed

davewerden

1. Oral History Interviews with Famous Low-Brass Players

Many of the visitors to my site are members of the International Tuba-Euphonium Association (ITEA), and many are not. Either group of people may be unaware of a terrific resource available to ITEA members.

ITEA members can go to iteaonline.org and click the History link, after which you see a link to the Oral History section of their website. In this section you find transcripts of interviews with tuba and euphonium players who are well-know in our community. This is a great way to ...
  2. Dave Werden Playing Chiapanecas - Video

One of my favorite solos of the late Rafael Mendez is "Chiapanecas". I first heard it in high school. He actually recorded two versions, one with his 2 sons as a trio and one as a solo.

During the concert March 10 with Oystein Baadsvik I had the chance to perform a solo. There was little time to prepare, and I wanted to choose something different in nature to what I anticipated Oystein would play, so Chiapanecas came to mind. Here is the video of the solo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omo9FpxRvTY
  3. Dave Werden and Oystein Baadsvik - Bach Aria-Duet - Video

My duet performance with Oystein Baadsvik is now on my videos page. This is from March 10, 2013, in Woodbury, Minnesota, and was part of the Baadsvik concert presented by Minne-Brass. This piece is with euphonium, tuba, and piano. The arrangement is available from Cimarron Music Press.

Oystein Baadsvik and David Werden, Bach Aria-Duet

The arrangement is also available for band (a small wind ensemble from a regular concert band).
  4. New Video: When I Look In Your Eyes - Euphonium and Piano

This is a video from my recent recital at University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire. The song is from the original version of the movie Dr. Dolittle, and was sung by Rex Harrison for the movie. Performing with me on this video is Dr. Barbara Young.

When I Look In Your Eyes
  5. New Video - Yakety Youff, Dave Werden, Euphonium

I just released a new video on YouTube. This is what I used for an encore on my Feb. 2013 recital at the University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire. It's played from the sheet music for "Yakety Sax," which was a #1 hit by tenor saxophonist Boots Randolph, and was later used extensively on "The Benny Hill Show."

For a euphonium player it is an unusual challenge. First there is the style in general. While Boots Randolph played very short, "slap-tongued" notes (I think that is the proper definition), ...
  6. Mouthpieces for Medium-Shank Euphoniums

For a very long time Besson (or Boosey & Hawkes) made the "gold standard" for euphoniums. Until 1974, Besson used a medium-sized receiver for the mouthpiece. This is midway in size between the small (tenor-trombone-size) mouthpiece shank and the large (bass-trombone-size) shank. It is sometimes called the "European euphonium" shank. As far as I know, trombones never used that size. Today, most makers of gold-standard euphoniums, and many makers of student-level euphoniums, use a bass-trombone-size ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bach Moutpiece Medium Shank 20.JPG 
Views:	842 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	1758  
  7. Video: Midwinter Tuba Quintet

I just had my third opportunity to play on A Prairie Home Companion, the national radio show that originates very near where I live. This was the third appearance of the "Midwinter Tuba Quintet," which was formed in 1997 expressly for this show. The members who just performed are:

Euphoniums: Tom Ashworth, Dave Werden
    Tubas: Nick Adragna, Mike Forbes, Ralph Hepola

Here are two features where the group can be heard. The first is "Tuba Blues," an original composition ...
  8. Video: Euphonium Solo/Piano Version of March from Holst's Second Suite

As my opener for the second half of my recent euphonium recital in Eau Claire, I used my brand-new arrangement of the March from Second Suite in F for Military Band by Gustav Holst. (The whole arrangement includes the Song without Words as well, although I did not use it for this recital.) The arrangement is for euphonium and piano, and should be available soon from Cimarron Music Press. Here is the video of that performance:

David Werden, euphonium - March from Second Suite in F for Military Band, by Gustav Holst, arranged for euphonium solo and piano by David Werden
Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast