Blog Comments

Very nice Dave! I appreciate you sharing. Your accompanist does a great job on these solos. In my area piano players are slowly becoming more scarce. Not a good trend!
    I have played in church since 7th grade. It is a great way to share music. Church's are appreciative. I live in Dillingham, Alaska, I play at least twice a month, and during Thanksgiving through Christmas, pretty much every Sunday, and the same around Easter. Our Pastor is a pianist of fairly good ability. I am lucky, we pretty much meet once a week to practice. There are times I use CD tracks or SmartMusic for other church's in the area. There is a great wealth of music, check out Douglas Yeo's site, there are seberal good links for music. I encourage all euphonium players to pursue, a side benefit is when you give a recital, you will probably double your attendance. This is my two cents worth. I agree with Dave totally.
    I'm sorry Dave. I did list sheet music plus in error. Sorry about that. ) : David
    Right, that's the link I have in the original post above. I thought you were talking about Sheet Music Plus.
    Here it is. You can even select the key!

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic...n=MN0077744_U1
    Davids1: Can you please give me the URL for that piece from Sheet Music Plus? I could not find it. Thanks!
    Thanks Dave. That is what I am doing as well. (thinking in Bb Treble Clef). I ordered a copy from Sheetmusic Plus. Beautiful piece! Thanks for sharing.
    The concert pitch key is F, so if you think in Bb treble clef (as I do) that would make it G.
    What key was this piece in Dave? G?
    Completely agree with JP that performing in church is another form of ministry. Lovely shading, Dave.
    I play in church a couple times a year. Sometimes Euphonium, sometimes trombone, the the euphonium really fits well for a solo offering! Great job Dave.
    Nice Dave....what a lucky church to have you play!
    This is a very beautiful piece! Great job.
    Very nice!
    JP: thanks for the nice comments. We have a screen, but the folks who run it at the early service aren't musicians, so they would not be able to follow the music. But if I do it again, I may see if we can squeeze all the words onto one readable screen.

In the show, the song is almost like a spiritual. It is sung slowly when it first comes in. Then near the end of the show they do the same song as an up-tempo gospel song. For the record, here are the words:
    http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/bigri...ghttoshine.htm
    Dave,

Well done as always, and the gentle tone of the song is certainly appropriate for church.

For me, church playing is different than other playing in that I see it not as entertainment but ministry. The ministry value/message of a song is in the lyrics. Therefore, for me, the lyrics need to present a message that supports the church's mission. And since the message is in the lyrics, I like to have them projected on a screen when appropriate so the attendees can see and read them.
    Very nice! Beautiful sound.
    It is very strange. I have been trying to get this note for awhile, and I still cannot get it. I can play any other note in the pedal scale though.
    Baritonist,
    It's hard to suggest a fingering. When you're dealing with false tone, things are kind of, um, false! Because I have a 4-valve compensating horn, my first false tone would be a B-flat below my pedal B (that would be the lowest B-flat on the piano). I've used it in recital now and then, but I find that the fingering can be open, 2nd, or 1st, depending on the state of my chops, temperature of the hall, and even what mouthpiece I use. So just experiment and see what works! And don't be afraid to try a different fingering if your original choice doesn't seem to work as well after a time.
    Hi Dave, I am a middle school player on a Andreas Eastman non-compensating 3 valve baritone. I just tried this and found i could do it with ease. I have also been able to go down to a pedal G. I dont know how to get a pedal E flat though. Is it just lipping up? If not can you give me the fingering for it?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast