View RSS Feed

General Tuba-Euphonium Blog

1. Cornet Soloist David Daws, Now Switching to Euphonium

David Daws was a very successful and talented cornet soloist with the Salvation Army's International Staff Band. You can hear examples of his cornet playing here:

Videos of Cornet Soloist David Daws

But he has some scar tissue on his lip from a previous injury, and that is making it increasingly difficult to play the cornet to the standard he desires. So he made the decision to switch to euphonium, which will not be hampered by that ill-placed scar tissue.

2. U.S. Marine Band Sousa Concerts - Michael Colburn, Director

Here is a video narrated by Col. Michael Colburn, director of The United States Marine Band ("The President's Own"). He explains a little about the annual Sousa concert they do and also give some very interesting history of John Philip Sousa. Col. Colburn is formerly the euphonium soloist with the Marine Band.

http://www.dwerden.com/music-videos/...s.cfm?vid=1943
  3. Historic Video - Conn Instrument Factory, 1937

Saxworks has just released a restored, historic video showing the operations at the C.G. Conn factory in 1937. It is the only such video known to exist from Pre-WWII United States. You'll see processes for both woodwind and brass instruments. It's an educational and entertaining watch!

1937 C.G. Conn Factory - RARE pre-WWII footage
  4. Watch Where You Point that Thing

At some point during my adult life I began to notice singers "working" the microphone. I may have first noticed this with Steve Lawrence, who was quite popular in my early adult life and was on television very often for a couple decades or so. He would employ a variety of microphone angles and placements, depending on the musical needs. If he wanted a deep, sullen sound, he would bring the mic in very close to his mouth. As the dynamics picked up, he would move it further away. There were also some ...
  5. Mr. Tuba - New Harvey Phillips Book

Almost anyone who plays low brass knows the name Harvey Phillips. He was "instrumental" in producing so many opportunities that we now take for granted that it would be hard to overstate his importance. And he has meant a lot to me personally. He was a guest soloist with my college band at University of Iowa and also a couple decades later with The U.S. Coast Guard Band. His college performance was the first time I heard a tuba soloist play a lyrical melody with such grace and beauty (he did "Bless ...
  6. Why Horn Responsiveness Is Important

For a long time I thought that a euphonium's response was relatively down the list of important factors when choosing a horn. First was the sound. And I broke down sound into two necessities: 1) the sound had to be big and have good projection, and 2) the sound had to have a character that fit well into various styles and could be "bent" or "shaded" somewhat when necessary. And second on my overall list was clarity of sound during technical passages. No sense working hard to play some tough piece ...
  7. The Adams Adjustable-Gap Receiver

I suspect most euphonium players have never worried about the gap between the end of the mouthpiece shank and the beginning of the instrument's leadpipe. To understand the terminology, the receiver is the two or three inches of tubing attached to the end of the leadpipe. The mouthpiece inserts into the receiver. The gap is hidden underneath the receiver. The drawing below shows this:

8. Evaluating the Adams Custom Euphonium

As I have announced earlier I am now playing the Adams Custom Euphonium. Of all the horns I've ever tested, this one was clearly the best choice for me. Several colleagues have asked me for more detail about why I chose Adams, so here is my perspective.

I've been play-testing professional-quality euphoniums seriously since about 1978, and I have gotten used to testing instruments in all kinds of situations. The Adams seemed to "brag" about itself a little less as I was playing in my ...
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast