Blog Comments

Of course it's a nice composition! It was written by a former euphonium player (and Salvationist)! I believe Adam Frey is working on a commission from Broughton for a serious euphonium work this year. Lookin' forward to that one for sure!

Here is a link to learn more about the commission:
    http://www.euphonium.com/store/broug...embership.html
    It starts in concert E, which is F# for treble clef euphonium. I had to transpose up a step. Then at the end of the longer piano interlude it modulates to F concert.
    That's a gorgeous piece. Nice job David.

After listening to the vocal by Jodi Earkeson Tada I'm going to make sure I see that movie. Looks like it comes out in June this year.
    I was kind of wondering why you chose key of 'E', but then watched/heard it go up a 1/2 step, then it made sense to me. I'm going to order that piece for sure.

Thanks for sharing.
    Nice job, Dave.

dsurkin: there's a modulation to F at 2:40ish.
    David: Beautiful performance. I was looking at your fingering and it didn't look like the key of E to me--and my iPad tuner app said the last note was an F. Was the key of E you mentioned a typo, or is there something I'm not understanding? Thanks.
    UPDATE: the video is back! The link above should work now.
    I had absolutely no idea that there were these types of competitions post-academia!
    Just watched all three of these videos. Excellent example showing the differences in tone quality of each instrument.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    In the spirit of Dave's demonstration and Heimat's suggestion to include the oval baritone, I was wondering if anyone has any comparison with the Conn 90G valve trombone, the one sometimes erroneously called a trombonium-- I understand the properly that name is for a smaller bored King horn, notorious for playing out of tune.

I ran into one of them on the Chicago Craig's List this morning, looking for a large bore trombone. Here's the link:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4369352033.html

I understand that these horns were basically Conn 88H bell sections attached to front action baritone valves and don't exactly sound like any other valve trombone. My question is how do they compare with English baritones such as Dave is playing above?
    heimat: I absolutely would do that, but I don't have access to an oval horn. It would be a great addition, though. I have noted where the microphones were, so if I have a chance in the future I'll set everything the same way.
    David, this is very useful overview. Could you please add a demonstration of european oval style rotary Barione, or Kaiser-Baritone? It may be an interesting comparison. :-]
    I agree............
    Wonderful playing Dave, that's a beauty of an instrument you have.
    Excellent! Thanks for sharing.
    Hi Dave, I used to bring out the Low D concert with false tones and - using 1-2 during this - the Low B natural on my YEP-321. It was the only chance to play Low B natural on this Euph. It sounded a little bit weaker than the "standard" tones.
    Very nice Dave! Beautiful sound. Enjoyed it very much.
    As I prep for my Community Band's spring season and my solo in Adam Frey's arrangement of Nessun Dorma I am reminded that these slower less technically demanding pieces are often more treacherous re intonation and phrasing. Beautiful, enjoyed this very much! What a fortunate arrangement for you and for your church and congregation
    I really want to play this piece in church also, but I don't play treble clef. Do you know where I could find the same arrangement in bass clef? Thanks
    I have performed on tuba several arrangements from a few books by Curnow. They work very well for a prelude, offertory, special music, or a postlude. The books include music from the Messiah (Christmas and Easter), Easy Great Hymns, More Great Hyms, and Advanced Hymns. Some of the books include information about the Hymns such as Scripture references and a little history about the hymn. All of these books come with a piano accomp cd, and you can also purchase the piano accomp book separately. Like Dave said, this is a great way to gain experience, and it is also a great way to serve the Lord!
    Thank you very much for posting this concert. Russian Christmas Music is awesome!
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast